Heartland Payment Systems

www.heartlandpaymentsystems.com
  www.heartlandpaymentsystems.com
There are newer employer reviews for Heartland Payment Systems

Not the best place to work, but not the worse either

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Plano, TX
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people (the "grunts") are GREAT! I stayed at HPS years longer than I otherwise would have because of my co-workers and I continue to stay in touch with several of them.

HPS is a great place to learn the payments industry. When I left HPS, I had absolutely no problems finding another job. Recruiters and employers were pounding on my door at a time when we were in the "Great Recession" and so many people were out of work. I had no idea how valuable my skill set was until I put my resume on line and was pleasantly surprised.

I think executive management (Bob Carr and his team) are great. I have a lot of respect for Bob. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about the management team in Plano.

Cons

I worked in the Plano IT office for several years. I worked under multple managers and directors, and I know the company well. I read reviews where they say "don't listen to the disgruntled employees." Well, they're disgruntled for a reason. If they were happy, they would give a glowing review. I've been away from HPS for a few years now and I'm still unhappy with how things worked out there, but in my case the grass was greener on the other side and I landed in a good place.

There is absolutely no recognition for a job well done. I worked my butt off putting in 60+ hours a week for years and in all that time the only time anyone noticed anything was if I didn't get their pet project completed in the time frame they wanted it done in. Never mind that I had multiple projects going at any time and for the first three years I was the only one who did my job there. I finally had to put my foot down by cutting my hours back to a reasonable 45-50 hours a week and letting the projects suffer. Management finally admitted that I needed help, so they hired more people. I trained those people to do their jobs and once I did that, I was put out to pasture.

A lot of promises are made and none are kept. I was told in my interview that I would manage a team of people within six months. That didn't happen. That manager left and another took over. It took two years for management to promote me to a senior level position and that came with more responsibilities, but no increase in pay or other compensation for the additional responsibilities. Then my manager and director wanted me to take on even more responsibilities by supervising a team of people (remember, I was already working 55+ hours a week as it was). I initially declined the offer until they offered to pay me more and promoted me to another senior level position. I agreed and took on those responsibilities, but once the new hires were trained to do their jobs, I was moved off of the team because I was told my skills and knowledge were needed elsewhere, and once they moved me to the new position, they tried to demote me! How's that for recognition and reward for a job well done? Eventually, I was told that my position was being eliminated and I was severanced out. By that point after everything that I had been through there, I was jumping up and down for joy that I was getting canned.

What it really comes down to is to be successful in that IT department, you have to keep your head down and do your job without expecting any rewards for doing so. Recognize that no one there really wants your opinion on anything and all that they want to hear is "Yes" to everything, even if it's nearly impossible to do. If you speak up, point out problems and issues, etc., you will be labled "difficult" by management, regardless if you were right and were looking out for the company's best interest. Recognize and accept that many of the people who are promoted do not necessarily know their stuff, but they are good at playing politics. Don't trust HR. They are there to protect the company and they are not the employee's friend. A lot of your happiness working for HPS depends upon the manager you are working for. There are good managers in the Plano office if you happen to be lucky enough to land under one of the few.

I've given my advice to management when I worked at HPS. They didn't listen and they won't listen now, so why bother?

236 Other Employee Reviews for Heartland Payment Systems (View Most Recent)

Ethics and exceptional customer dedication in an industry otherwise devoid.

Current Employee - Sales Management  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Management in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Heartland is a fast moving big picture company who has its future in front of it!
    With 8 acquisitions just last year and a commitment to clients and employees far far above the industry this is the company to bet your career on!

Cons

This is not the environment for the slow and weak.

Keep on your present course with the same passion and commitment!

Bad upper Mgmt, Lots of broken promises

Current Employee - Client Support
    Current Employee - Client Support

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time

Pros

M-F, no weekends when not traveling. Good feeling to solve and help customer solve their problems. Free drinks & snacks.

Cons

12+ hour days when travel required. Low daily meal allowance. Bad Medical insurance and other benefits all with high premiums. Upper mgmt is clueless and only care about their six figure salary and bonus.

Hire people who car about your customers and employees

There are newer employer reviews for Heartland Payment Systems

Worked for Heartland Payment Systems? Contribute to the Community!