Going nowhere fast....

Current Employee - Relationship Manager  in  Augusta, GA
Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Augusta, GA

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The company has great technology and many interfaces. It also has very low hold times almost anytime during any day at the service center.

Cons

There are many but here are the major ones:

Management has gotten so desperate for numbers with this straight commission job that they now micro-manage everything to the death that the sales reps and territory managers do. Can you say "daily reporting" and "daily phone calls with your managers"? The fact that more people haven't reported their managers for a hostile work environment or harassment astonishes me. If you could only see copies of the emails that I see, you would never want to work here or for any manager that does this to their straight commissioned sales reps. They have no right to micro-manage unless they are going to start paying for cell phone bills, car insurance that Heartland makes you list them on, internet, paper, ink and office equipment. And putting "expense memo" on our paycheck stubs is NOT picking up our expenses. This is a mere Mickey Mouse game of "we don't want to have another class action lawsuit against us so let's put the words expense memo on their pay stubs".

Since the layoffs of nearly 70 account managers (on April 1st, 2013) that used to do all of the local servicing for Heartland nationwide, the service has gotten really bad for merchants. The service center at Heartland has now resorted to phone support only for new installs, training & terminal failures. And yeah, other processors do their service that way, but why did we have to. To save the company money when they took this money from the sales force back in 2006 to pay these people? This leaves the merchants completely frustrated when they can't get local service anymore (unless the Relationship Manager wants to go and do the job of the 70 people that were just laid off and the RM will be doing that for FREE as the service center at Heartland refuses to pay their RM's the $50 RM Dispatch Fee as they promised they would).

This is just not a pleasant place to work anymore. It is now a grind and causing many people to look for "other opportunities" including opening their own companies or just going to a competitor of Heartland that will treat them right. The management continues to put rosy numbers out there about attrition and about the monthly sales numbers.

The monthly quota at Heartland was just raised from $6,000 to $8,000. When half of your 700 sales reps weren't hitting the $6,000, why would you raise it even higher when the morale is clearly declining for your organization? The only thing I can think of is that Heartland wants to widdle down their 700 sales reps and what better way to do that then to tell your $6,000 producers that they are now not cutting the mustard. Also, if Heartland can get rid of more rookies and keep their residuals at 100%, since these new people aren't vested, why not? That's the Heartland way I guess.

"The Pulse" calls (there have only been two so far) are extremely useless. This monthly call is all about propaganda and getting RM's and TM's to tell everyone else how trustworthy Heartland is and how much they love busting their butt for very little pay. The first call was my last one. Truly pathetic. At least the old monthly calls for "News and Views" were filled with useful information about new things being implemented in the service center or introducing new products and services. The Pulse call where a guy is being congratulated for being "hungry", "working hard" and getting his "WIN" because he and his wife just had a baby was truly deplorable and he was just used. So sad!

Please just stop. Stop micro-managing, stop making everyone miserable and pay everyone what they are worth. Your company isn't that great. I could open an ISO for Chase/Paymentech tomorrow and romp you with my eyes closed and my hands hand-cuffed behind my back. You have done nothing but abuse and torture your sales reps to the point where they really just endure their job with you. There is no way for you to change what you've done now. It's too late. The brightest and greatest you had are now gone and working for themselves or other processors. Your rookies are not going to save you as they too are disgruntled and depressed over their situation and getting constant harassment from their managers to produce. You can pull a few out and use them as propaganda but other than that, you have chosen greed over decency to the people who helped build your company to where it is today. Shame, shame, shame on you!