www.heartlandpaymentsystems.com
  www.heartlandpaymentsystems.com
There are newer employer reviews for Heartland Payment Systems

Current Employee - Relationship Manager

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have been with Heartland for over 8 years. My career has been wonderful and challenging. Have created wealth for my family and my future. Have the opportunity to continue to do the same. The sales position is structured for individuals who have a STRONG work ethic, integrity and persistence. An attitude of doing whatever is necessary (ethically + professionally) and never quit.

Heartland training is on-going.....if you have the focus and desire to learn. It will not be spoon fed. The training modules and all support are available to those who are interested. It is up to the individual.

Whining and excuses are not acceptable if you are determined to earn a big income, help businesses and run your own business. It all comes back to personal accountability.

Cons

Micro management is prevelant at Heartland. I agree that the managers should get into the field more often. "Get their hands dirty" as one of the reveiwers wrote.

My advice for a serious sales professional: Put your head down, take a moment to definitely commit yourself, NEVER look back, failure is not an option. Take total responsibility for your actions, communications and results. I put this comment in CONS because there are too many folks that truly cannot handle this responsibility.

Management--truthful answers: 1. Can you still SELL in today's environment with someone (your manager) breathing down your neck every minute of the day? 2. Are you hiring children that you have to babysit or professional adults that deserve your respect?

251 Other Employee Reviews for Heartland Payment Systems (View Most Recent)

DO NOT waste your time unless you want to be run over and kicked to the curb.

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems

Pros

maybe the ability to be able...

Cons

Where to start. I thought about this for a few days and went back and forth trying to see if this was really worth it. I decided to take a chance and go with them. Went rounds about what was needed even prior to getting a job with them and in the end, what a waste of time. They gave me the run around, the you need to make a decision today or nothing can happen,or maybe it was the bashing by management too. They want you to work for them and leave what you are doing so you can make appointments and possibly make money or even have a job. I was all in and made sure before I left my current position that I would have a position and per the upper management, as he said, "yes you will. Just get here and we will make sure you succeed..." What a joke. On top of that, communication is very limited. Should have taken the hint when I asked to go on a call with them to find out what the day is like, see the presentations and really get a feel for it... but as you would think that would be a a loud NO. If you do not call them they will not call you even though you are still working and don't really have all the time to make a call to say hi during your day. But can send emails and text msgs to make sure you know they are pissed. I was actually excited about moving on and coming to this organization even though I have hear a lot of negative reviews, but guess I should have went with my gut. Take a step back and think about if you want to be micro managed by a group that could care less about you and your family needs.

Listen to your messages and call people back and maybe drop the attitude as you are not the highest of all. Drop the attitude and comments too.

Sad State of Affairs

Current Employee - Relationship Manager

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great service center. Love most of my co-workers. Been here a long time but that's a testament to me working hard and ignoring the bad stuff Heartland keeps throwing my way.

Cons

Most of the sales force is unhappy due to the way management is treating them. There is so much unhappiness that almost all of the Ambassadors nationwide did not ask to attend The Summit (Heartland's Annual Meeting in October 2013). Now, Executive Directors are sending out emails to any sales rep (non-Ambassador) who declined their invitation to The Summit asking specifically WHY they are not attending. Well, let's see, maybe they don't want to be bashed for three days about how they are not using their time wisely. The problem is not that sales reps aren't using their time wisely, it's that you bully and threaten the sales' peoples jobs everyday and some Executive Directors and Division Managers are doing it more than others.

After the Account Managers were laid off on April 1st, 2013, service has been a nightmare for the sales reps and for the service center. If an active RM has a service issue with a Heartland client that cannot be resolved on the phone, they have to go out and service it for zero pay (basically doing the job of the laid off people). But if the Service Center has a house account (that Heartland makes 100% of the money on) that needs a person to physically go out there, they will pay a sales rep $50 (before taxes) but the service call usually ends up costing you about 3 to 4 hours of your day from start to finish. So HPS is willing to pay $50 for an account they make money on at 100% but not pay an RM who has an account that needs physical service. That seems like a double standard.

Sadly, upper management is actually getting more arrogant as time goes on. They feel empowered by what they call "holding people accountable" but what we sales people call "horrible treatment of the most loyal sales organization". They can't hire anyone and the veterans that are still here are trying to jump ship and become Ambassadors but once again, they are being bullied, guilt tripped and being asked to give a good reason why they want to become an Ambassador. Hello Heartland, you are creating the environment where your most skilled are actually wanting to give up their health insurance, their incentive points and their 401K match just to get out from under quota and the horrible managers you have in place! What does this say to you?? You may think that this style of management is "working" but I am here to tell you it is "not working" and it has been destroying your sales organization for more than two years.

Just look at what is REALLY happening within your organization: New hires quitting left and right because they don't know the business and are expected to WIN right out the gate with very little training and straight commission pay. Low attendance on Leaf POS webinars. Low attendance on HMS Webinars. And low attendance at your Summit this year. Wake up and do something. How can you sit back and ignore what is right under your nose? These managers that you put in place are only doing what you told them to do and that is "get results no matter what the cost". The cost is attrition of your most skilled and successful sales people, a bad name in the industry (don't think ex-sales people who leave are speaking highly of you when moving on to other opportunities because they're not), your current sales people are being solicited weekly on "Linked In" by companies like Chase/Paymentech, First Data, Elavon and tons of your competitors. Why choose this road instead of just treating your sales people with integrity and compassion for the human beings that they are? You have lost your way but there is always time to fix it if you choose to.

There are newer employer reviews for Heartland Payment Systems