Heartland Payment Systems

www.heartlandpaymentsystems.com
  www.heartlandpaymentsystems.com
There are newer employer reviews for Heartland Payment Systems

This is a tough industry...make sure you're a super strong go getter...

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This company is built on honesty, trust and integrity. Although each rep is different and you can't really know if they are always honest out in the field, Bob Carr is an incredible man who has created an opportunity to earn a great living!
Heartland is the only company of its kind that doesn't lie and cheat to get the merchants business. There's a lot of competition, but if you can get an appt most of the time you're in. For the most part, my management is great and we all get along well.
I love the concept of the company and Bob doesn't hold back his feelings of the importance of integrity. I love the company...

Cons

Continuing on about the management, as nice as they are, there is not much out in the field support once you're "trained." If you're having a difficult time, they talk to you on the phone to try to encourage you, but in the 3 1/2 yrs of working for Heartland I haven't been offered a day in the field to up my spirits and just have a day of fun meeting people together. If I ask, it's usually a "no" due to the fact that they are busy too.
If your account cancels within their first year, your screwed! You may as well forget your pay checks, and your residuals.
It's a tough industry and unless you're able to work on your own 100% of the time you most likely won't make it. But for the super go getters you will have a fantastic career!

My advise is constructive criticism. I would suggest you spend more time in the field with your reps if you see that they are struggling. Even the best go through slumps and need support, even if it's just getting together to re-group...a lunch, a walk, just something.

239 Other Employee Reviews for Heartland Payment Systems (View Most Recent)

Good industry introduction

Former Employee - Relationship Manager
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I worked for Hps for 5 years, and just before I left Hps I earned my 2nd painting, without an AM, and had well below company average attrition.

They have a great training program for people new to the industry and a transparent pricing model for merchants. Benefits are ok, have had better and have had worse. Having their own front end is a plus, great online reporting tool for merchants and reps. Nice as a rep being able to see if a merchant called in.

Cons

Pay is very low for the industry; you can make a much higher residual by not working for a publicly traded company. I have been gone from Hps for almost 3 years, and yes those higher residual splits are for real; it's amazing how fast your residual grows while also offering i/c pass through pricing.

No expense program.

No detail of pay - meaning you are simply shown a lump sum that is paid on the account, no detail on how that lump sum was arrived at.

When you leave Hps they don't show you what merchants you are paid on; only a lump sum.

Not a true lifetime residual; as it can be bought at anytime.

Think about if an Rm doesn't make the winner's club, then what club are they in? Thus get rid of the winner's club and bring back the old Heartland.

This is the best place to work for those in the payments industry.

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you are good in sales, their comp plan is the best. Financial freedom is real here.

Cons

It will not pay for your inabilities and lack of performance immediately. The health benefits are also not as good as it sounds.

You should incentivize your sales managers (RM/TM) with a base salary to enable them to support minimum expenses until their passive income balances it out.

There are newer employer reviews for Heartland Payment Systems

Worked for Heartland Payment Systems? Contribute to the Community!