There are newer employer reviews for Heinz

Full of distractions and bad culture

Current Employee - Category Development Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
Current Employee - Category Development Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Not sure which Heinz to review so I am reviewing both HNA and Heinz. The company has a great backbone of good principles, good brands, and good customer relationships. Today, however things are not as they seem. There are too many distractions and a nosediving culture.

Cons

So much is happening right now that is bad that it clearly outweighs the good. 1) The business is in bad shape for long term growth 2) The culture has become of the worst in the industy and just a bad place to work. 3) The new leadership team does not care about people 4) A high profile sexual harassment case between two popular employees is leading to a divided company with each taking sides. The company has done a poor job managing through this. It is a big distraction.

Please figure out how to fix this situation that new leadership has caused. Learn to care about people. Value your team and employees

reviews filtered by

This place is not for anyone with values, morals, or any good in them

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Brands, history, quality products, quality items, and formerly quality people. The culture certainly is not a positive

Cons

I've hit the wall and had enough of this place. I cannot wait to find a new job and trust me I am interviewing as much as possible. People do the work of several others for one job. Heinz doesn't value anyone and seems to be joyed when people quit. I really don't care if they offer a retension bonus since everyone is quitting. I am not interested. The culture here is the absolute worst in the industry. I've seen them destroy a good man's career because they turned someone in for harassment. I have seen them flush women out like waste in the toilet. I have seen diversity as non-priority. There is nothing good here now and no reason to come work here.

Do something. Anything to fix the culture and the mess you created

Not the Company I Joined 7 Years Ago

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Heinz has strong brands and a long standing history of quality. Working at Heinz you will be stretched, have opportunities to grow your skills and will encounter great learning opportunities and cross-functional assignments. You will be accustomed to change and will learn to be nimble. If you enjoy a fast-paced (lightning fast) environment and don't rattle easily you will thrive.

Cons

Heinz has gone through numerous leadership changes over the past three years with disastrous results. We rotated our best and brightest executives and leaders (including the CEO of North America) into global assignments with the expectation that our US business would continue to thrive. We suffered tremendously and are experiencing the fallout. We were told we could not "cut" our way out of this mess by our new leader, but that's exactly what happened. We went through two reductions in force over the past year (one being leaked to the media on the day of the event, prior to our own employees being notified), and experienced merit freezes and bonus cuts twice, even for high performing employees. Executives have not felt this pain.

Heinz does not put our money where our mouth is. We say we're a meritocracy but poor performing employees and executives are generally protected, being moved and rotated to other divisions and business units instead of being managed out. And, again, our high performers have not been rewarded financially.

We are hemorraging leadership in our most critical areas of brand marketing and finance, among others. As a result the stress of our employees, both those who work on these teams and those who are trying to analyze the turnover and recruit to stop the bleeding, has skyrocketed. Any spark of work-life balance (which has never been a strength for Heinz) has vanished. Every day is a fire drill, including Saturday and Sunday. This is an ongoing theme in our exit surveys. I regularly have full conversations with multiple employees after 9 pm and receive urgent requests at night time and on weekends. When I'm not working on weekends I'm feeling painful guilt and anxiety over what I'll be coming back to Monday morning. Nearly my entire team has begun an external career search.

We do not hire or promote women and diverse individuals into executive roles. When we have they last less than two years. Our executive leadership portrait looks like an Ivy League fraternity composite. This has been the case for years and sadly things are not improving. Diversity is simply not a priority.

I used to feel such pride for my company. I never thought I would see this day and it is truly sad.

Open your eyes and ears. Culture does matter to employees and you will continue to lose your best & brightest if you don't start making changes. Heinz is not the only game in town.

There are newer employer reviews for Heinz