good times all around

Former Employee - Associate Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
Former Employee - Associate Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Heinz full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

helpful and helpful can be fun

Cons

corporate lasting only till you do good

Advice to Management

listen and learn and do what is right

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Oh how the mighty have fallen

Current Employee - Senior QA Technician in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Senior QA Technician in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Heinz full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Heinz carries wonderful brands any employee can be proud of. Great locations to work at both downtown and north of Pittsburgh.

Cons

With the recent changes in ownership this company is putting profits ahead of food safety. It is only a matter of time before disaster hits. Think Arthur Andersen, Enron, Peter Pan peanut butter.

The lucky ones were downsized (seriously)

Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Heinz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people, at least the few that are left are great to work with (although even that is changing as stress and Meritocracy take hold). My paycheck hasn't been cut...yet..

Cons

Oh where to begin? The atmosphere and morale are toxic. Just about everyone is looking for another job. They will tell you directly or you can infer it from their Linkedin profile updates. People who didn't even know what Linkedin was now look like power users as they desparately flail awaiting any employment lifeline they can snag. As another reviewer said, meritocracy is a joke. New hires with no accomplishments come in at high levels. People with dubious accomplishments are promoted 2 levels creating animosity for all those left in their same positions (with 2x the work now). Managment knows it because you can't get a copy of the org chart even for a legitimate purpose of finding out who to contact. Of course, true success will only come if you are part of the Brazilian Brotherhood. You can tell which areas of business will be a focus as it's sure to be filled by some male with a Brazilan surname. The open office environment makes me think of a cross between cafeteria tables and a 3rd grade classroom, with exception that lunch tables are more fun and 3rd graders have more storage space. As someone else mentioned, it's a clever way to monitor when you arrive and leave. Plan on inviting your office mates to any conference call you may have, cause they're going to hear everything anyway. Which brings us to the next point. Work life balance. There is none. You're putting in 50-60 now? You, my friend are just warming up. You have a family? Cherish that 5x7 you are allowed to keep on your office work area cause that will be the only time you see them (except for every other weekend visits after you are divorced cause you were derelict in spousal and parental responsibilities). I recently heard about two benefit/perk cuts that are pretty much industry standards for anyone in a Fortune 1000. I'm sure this is only the start.. Sour grapes? Well, i am one of the "high performers" they retained. Sour grapes would be the folks who were let go. Don't believe me? Read the other reviews for Henz. Don't believe them? Read the reviews for what 3G did to Burger King and Anheuser Busch. Don't believe them? I encourage you to apply for any openings. You are perfect for this situation.

Advice to Management

Why bother? They have their playbook (How to Double Your Profits in 6 Months) and won't deviate from it. They are going to stripmine Heinz and then move onto their next victim.