It was good when I was there before leaving in 2010

I worked at Heinz

Pros

International exposure and opportunity for growth internally

Cons

Closed minded thinking. Too many people not contributing.

reviews filtered by

Not for the faint of heart, but for the courageous of spirit

I have been working at Heinz full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Transparency, consistency of message and absolute understanding of what's expected of you. Is it always easy? No. Is it always the road that you would choose or decision you would make? No. It is absolutely about working hard, delivering your results and seeing the payoff.

Having worked for Heinz before the acquisition I can count the number of times that our former CEO made time for "the commoners" on one hand. Our current CEO is very much engrained in every aspect of the business. He is accessible and makes the time to talk to employees. He does not shy away from, or make excuses for, the high expectations that he has of us. Who wouldn't want to be a part of an organization where mediocracy is not okay?

Things have changed, and quite frankly they needed to change. We weren't winning in the marketplace or differentiating ourselves as an employer of choice. We were middle of the pack. I would rather be a part of an organization that is trying to win than one that settles for the crumbs.

Those employees who are yearning for the "good old days" are looking at a past different than what I experienced. I know that I am a part of something big - something great. With any change there is doubt and vulnerability, but if you don't try you never know if you can win.

Cons

Some of the tools brought from 3G have the right intent, but the execution wasn't adjusted for our organization. The cut and paste philosophy doesn't always work and can actually have an unintended impact on the employees - make us feel like you're creating tools, policies and procedures that work for us, our company, our industry. A little care in implementation and communication goes a long way.

There is still jockeying for position among some of our leaders which turns into name dropping as an influencing tactic. In the true spirit of ownership, ideas and decisions should be made based on their merit, not relationships.

Advice to Management

Continue to walk the halls. Treat each interaction with employees as an opportunity to re-recruit the talented team who wants to be here. As leaders, you are constantly evaluating the health of the organization and the caliber of our talent. As employees we are doing the same based on your leadership, your communication and your ability to win. Don't expect us to follow - lead us.

Heinz used to be an amazing company. I thought I would retire as a member of this great team.

Current Employee - Buyer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Buyer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Heinz full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is reasonable, but benefits have changed

Cons

New Management has ruined a successful company