Great Place Because of the Workers

Former Employee - Intermediate Developer  in  Oakville, ON (Canada)
Former Employee - Intermediate Developer in Oakville, ON (Canada)

I worked at HelpSTAR full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Participated in exciting cloud based project released in fall. Good team spirit. Weekly social on “Friday at four”. Diverse work environment with fair pay.

Cons

Deadlines sometimes require intense effort. Recent restructuring replaced some ‘fat cats’. Some workers felt, but those that remained are dedicated, higher professionals. I had to leave for personal reasons, but would have preferred to continue on cloud development. Some of my team members have been there for more than 12 years.

Distribute more decisions to lower levels. More family events.

Other Reviews for HelpSTAR

Better Work Environment Needed

I have been working at HelpSTAR full-time

Pros

Weekly staff wide meetings to end the work week

Cons

Its common knowledge that if you have happy and rewarded employees that they are more likely to be dedicated, loyal and hardworking for a company. This concept is completely lost on the president of this company. When there is an attempt to act on this concept, you are either ignored or targeted for further criticism. There is no one here in upper management that is trustworthy to air out your concerns.

The biggest con of this company is that the current employees have to deal with the fallout of the high turnover in this company with no recognition of hard work. Your workloads are tripled and there is no appreciation for keeping the service and company afloat. In the last year, we have lost 50% of our employees. This turnover rate should be cause for management to look inwards to determine what they can do to retain good employees.

The company has lost sight of what made this company initially successful. We used to have excellent customer service. This is no longer the case because we simply have lost the skilled employees who can provide it. We used to have a product that the company can be proud to promote and support. The product has lost its way and has not improved fast enough to retain our clients.

If a company had one problem (say, poor compensation) it would be okay if it was offset by a great work environment. This company has too many problems to overcome. Unethical management, poor product, no structure make this environment unhealthy to work in for an extended period of time. That’s a shame because when you get hired you want to settle in and grow. It’s very hard to do this here.

Try hard to retain good people

Prepare to have your soul crushed

I worked at HelpSTAR full-time

Pros

The staff (not management) was the only thing that kept me around as long as I was.

Cons

No job security. Your jobs could "Vanish" if the president saw fit. Reward scheme was a joke. It was changed 3 times in the small span I was there. Each time it was changed the last one was voided. This translated into no bonuses at all. Excuses of no profits were bogus. All suggestions, even if backed with hard evidence were thrown out the window if it didn't align with the presidents vision only to resurface a few months later as his "Revelation". A tripled workload as a result of quiting/firing was apparently not grounds for a cost of living wage increase.

Treat your employees well. You are only as far as you are now because of them. The "Hardwork" you put in at the inception of the company means nothing now when you ride the backs of 50 employees and then toss them aside as you see fit.

There are newer employer reviews for HelpSTAR.

Worked for HelpSTAR? Contribute to the Community!