Helzberg Diamonds

Helzberg Diamonds - All Star Company

Former Employee - Store Manager in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
Former Employee - Store Manager in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I worked at Helzberg Diamonds

Pros

Helzberg Diamonds has; with out a doubt, the best leadership training program I have ever seen. I have had the opportunity to work with some very talented people over the years, but I can say without hesitation, the quality of the people "top to bottom" at Helzberg is All-Star quality. One particular training module that sticks out was their "Performance Problem Solving" session. While the core principles of this program were very basic, understanding how to consistently apply the skills learned in a very logical sequence was huge for me. In fact, I now train other retailers across the country on addressing performance problems.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Utilize available technology to accurately measure traffic and conversion rates

81 Other Employee Reviews for Helzberg Diamonds (View Most Recent)

Good part-time job while going to school, but not for long term employment.

Former Employee - Office Associate in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Office Associate in Wichita, KS

I worked at Helzberg Diamonds

Pros

Good benifits and pay. Some of the employees are pleasent to work with.

Cons

Managment was poor. Employees were not treated respectfully. Company did not treat employees as people, only numbers. Retail hours and you don't see your family around the Holidays.

Employees will work more effectifly and will be more willing to work hard when treated like human beings.

An ethical company that lacks growth opportunities on many levels

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Helzberg Diamonds full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Berkshire Hathaway bragging rights. Almost 100 year history. Moderate brand recognition. AGS membership. Publicized ethical business practices.

Cons

Less than competitive compensation. Lack of opportunities of advancement. Often chaotic business decisions and lack of structure. Disconnection of corporate decisions and store operations.

The commission and compensation structure is unfair and not competitive. The way the commission structure is set up only the employees at top producing stores and regions make a livable wage. This causes turn over and lack of loyalty from employees when sales/commission goals are unattainable--making it difficult to build a team with tenure and experience. If the commission structure would go back to being pegged to the proposed production of the store it would encourage employees to stay with the company (and stay loyal to the brand for longer). There is little recognition from executive management unless the district/region/store/employee is a "superstar". They seem to have lost sight of the the "true motivators" that the had been part of the Helzberg culture for years...only focusing on recognition and not advancement, or money. Finally, as was evident is corporate decision of 2012, it appears at the store level to the staff and also to customer's that the company is scrambling to KEEP UP with the competition, with the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing many times...and is sifting to making us more like the failing Zale's (but introducing Smart Values, and having sales every few weeks {abandoning the "Truth in pricing" culture that was held so dear for most of our history}. It is causing staff and clients to wonder about the long term future of the company. Although many of the changes Beryl had made upon becoming CEO had made the company profitable at first, it is beginning to seem that she is struggling to maintain the momentum that she so often speaks about. She seems to be looking for another "rabbit to pull of the hat"...and is failing.

There are newer employer reviews for Helzberg Diamonds