Hennepin County Medical Center

There are newer employer reviews for Hennepin County Medical Center

Care and compassion

Current Employee - Lactation Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
Current Employee - Lactation Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people at HCMC really CARE about the people we serve.

Cons

It is a BIG organization, sometimes change is difficult to accomplish.

26 Other Employee Reviews for Hennepin County Medical Center (View Most Recent)

I am a staff nurse mostly working nights.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If possible, managers try to be flexible with work schedules to accomadate life schedule. Good health benefits and scheduling preference at clinics for employees. New leadership seems to be trying to change the culture.

Cons

Lack of communication system wide. Improving culture but "it's not my job" is a frequent refrain. Issues take so long to get resolved that it appears they do not get resolved. Supervisors and managers that do not always understand the jobs they are managing.

Learning and self improvement oportunities are scheduled around a day shift perspective even though the hospital is open 24/7. Job sharing should be an option. Continuing education is only encouraged if it means getting a degree or certificate. On site, off hours daycare would be fabulous.

Flexible and great benefits, super stressful at times.

Current Employee - BA MA in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - BA MA in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Awesome benefits package, great health insurance for individuals. Some amazing people work here and keep the place afloat. Cool location and mission, great medical library with tons of educational resources and super helpful staff.

Cons

Wretched management, high turnover, and random firings when departments are planning improvements, which significantly stalls upgrades and delays progress.

Way too much favoritism, and ironically, the 'favorites' are the worst employees. The more trained and skilled you are, the more they work you to the max to cover the slack of the inept, chronic sick callers, & FMLA abusers (there's a lot).

Possibly the worst human resources department I've ever had to deal with. I wouldn't even give them a job at McDonald's mopping floors if they volunteered. They frequently lose critical paper work, and viciously hunt out good employees for the most trivial issues, while ignoring the worst, do nothing employees.

Pull it together and show better direction. I've seen too many wonderful people leave here due to confusing tactics and promotion of bad workers. It really deals a huge blow to morale and you're practically encouraging bad work habits.

Clean up the hospital's imagine, it's known to area residents as a place to get pain killers, and frequent dealing is done in plain sight of visitors and patients.

Encourage overweight smoking staff to not smoke at the emergency room entrance and up their insurance premiums. Better yet, fire them, it's embarrassing, unwelcoming, and hypocritical.

There are newer employer reviews for Hennepin County Medical Center