Hensel Phelps Construction

Reconsider

Current Employee - Field Engineer
Current Employee - Field Engineer

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction

Pros

The compensation is fair, the health benefits are very good, and the retirement package is great.

HP is extremely focused on women and minorities in the work place and you will find that they tend to climb the ladder extremely fast.

HP is focused on training and all though that has not been my experience other employees have had access to training.

New employees can expect to be promoted within two years assuming you start at the bottom.

Cons

I've moved 4 times in the past two years. I average 70 hours a week. So as you can imagine dating for young engineers is nearly impossible and if your married don't expect your spouse to be able to contribute financially. HP does not consider spouse's jobs when moving you, lastly HP has an extremely high rate of divorce which makes sense when you consider all the moving stress and long hours.

There is no Human Resources department and management is very proud of that fact, they are of the opinion that HR is a waist of money.

Start caring for your employees. Many of the younger staff intends to leave the company when the economy turns around, you might want to find out why.

74 Other Employee Reviews for Hensel Phelps Construction (View Most Recent)

Good place to learn every aspect of construction but long hours make work-family balance difficult

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Hensel Phelps Construction

Pros

If you want to learn construction from the bottom up, this is the place for you. They will start you in the field rubbing shoulders with laborers. We even operated equipment to move building material. Training is more than adequate. Jobs are often very high-profile. Senior management are all promoted from within and provide stability. Support from the managers are very good. High level of interaction with your co-workers in the same project. Employees stay in touch with each other after they move on to different projects. Loyalty is emphasized and rewarded.

Cons

As in many construction firms, work hours are very long. We often start meeting at 6 a.m. and don't leave office until 5 or 5:30. On average work one to two Saturdays each month (often you find out on Friday you need to work the next day and it ruins your weekend plan with your friends and family). The experience weights heavily on the quality of the project team. Most are good and fair but if you're stuck with a bad manager, it's very difficult to get a transfer so you'll just have to deal with it for the next year and half or two. Employees have very little say about where they will be transferred to, even if you have a family. Starting salary is below industry standard but reward comes in as bonus and company shares for those who stay 8 years and beyond.

Provide alternatives for employees to strive their work-family balance.

Are you motivated by money

Current Employee - Field Engineer in Stockton, CA
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in Stockton, CA

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction

Pros

good starting pay with immediate responsibility. loads to learn from within a short time. good for a young person to come, learn then leave. If you are motivated simply by money then you might be able to stick it out.

Cons

long hours. LOOOOng hours. little recognition. tons of chiefs and few indians. mainly a male workplace marked by many trying in vain to be the ALPHA. Many of the senior people in the office always seem tired and beat. It seems that any time familiy and work must be balanced family gets dropped.

throwing people at problems isnt always a solution. Get up to date with technology, it would save time/money and frustration I mean we dont have a frickin' color printer but you did let us buy colored pencils!

There are newer employer reviews for Hensel Phelps Construction