Great place to work

Current Employee - Area Superintendent in Arlington, VA
Current Employee - Area Superintendent in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction

Pros

I have worked for several companies during my career and HP was the most supportive companies I have ever worked for. The benefits package is exceptional and salary is consistent with other companies in the industry. Personal well being seems to be a company value and the practice of safety is unmatched. Employees are valued and respected. The company expects a lot from all employees and gives as much or more in return. Working there was the greatest professional experience I have had and only left for a family relocation to a state HP was not currently working. I highly recommended Hensel Phelps for anyone seeking employment.

Cons

Hours are long at times but there is a level of give and take and the hours do usually balance in the end.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire aggressively even in this economy. You should replace those undeserving of their position or those who take their position for granted and don't value what they really have with HP.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Construction is a FULL time job

Current Employee - Office Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Office Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction

Pros

Good money and long hours, make sure to form a family bond with fellow employees.

Cons

Long hours, family time is hard to come by.

Advice to Management

There is an opportunity for everyone.

2. Not a place for progressive construction managers

Current Employee - Field Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction

Pros

Relaxed work environment. Good people, especially the craft. Young engineers learn a lot from their field experience. Very good overall training program - employees have access to a plethora of industry courses year-round through a very well designed and implemented company education portal.

Cons

The hours are ridiculousness. Kiss your personal and family life goodbye. Communication at HP is horrible. Though this is the construction industry, often HP gives less than a week notice when its time to uproot and move to a new job. Communication between lower and upper-level management isn't great either. Its difficult to get an honest assessment of your progress or deficiencies. HP has a terrible record of retaining and promoting minorities and women.

Advice to Management

Get with the times. I suggest offering more trainings on communication and managerial skills.