Hensel Phelps Construction

Great Growth Opportunities Come With Sacrifices

Current Employee - Field Engineer in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Field Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction

Pros

Large scale complex projects. Experienced senior staff who have generally climbed the ladder from the bottom themselves, which makes them a better balanced management team than at other companies. Employee owned. Opportunity to accrue a variety of experiences in both the office and the field. Young employees are given an unusual amount of control and autonomy to make choices that directly affect a project's outcome. Pay and benefits are comparable if not slightly higher than competing companies. The company invests a lot into training and development of employees.

Cons

Long hours first and foremost, it makes work life balance difficult. Relocation is abrupt and expected, generally the company tries to relocate employees within their district, but in tougher economic times, relocation occurs countrywide, and even occasionally internationally depending on the active projects that require staffing.

Executive staff should take another look on improving work-life balance by more effectively using technology and other tools available, many methods used at this company are "old school traditional" ways of looking at organization and process, HP has the capital to invest in new innovative software, this could benefit company productivity (and employee satisfaction) a lot, particularly in communication.

98 Other Employee Reviews for Hensel Phelps Construction (View Most Recent)

Great place to work

Current Employee - Area Superintendent in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Area Superintendent in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction

Pros

I have worked for several companies during my career and HP was the most supportive companies I have ever worked for. The benefits package is exceptional and salary is consistent with other companies in the industry. Personal well being seems to be a company value and the practice of safety is unmatched. Employees are valued and respected. The company expects a lot from all employees and gives as much or more in return. Working there was the greatest professional experience I have had and only left for a family relocation to a state HP was not currently working. I highly recommended Hensel Phelps for anyone seeking employment.

Cons

Hours are long at times but there is a level of give and take and the hours do usually balance in the end.

Continue to hire aggressively even in this economy. You should replace those undeserving of their position or those who take their position for granted and don't value what they really have with HP.

You won't have a life

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Hensel Phelps Construction

Pros

Company has very cool jobs to work on, you do learn alot, plus many trainings. We have strong safety program and have relatively good salary.

Cons

You cannot have a life or family while working here. Work between 55 to 80 hrs a week. You have no input on where you move and management does not keep there word. It is not odd for a fifteen year employee to have moved 8 or 9 different cities. All I have to say is karma's a .......

When you have employees that have families maybe try to help keep them together it's said that you don't care if families are broken up, seen to many times.

There are newer employer reviews for Hensel Phelps Construction