There are newer employer reviews for Herman Miller

A pretty great place to work

I worked at Herman Miller

Pros

Wonderful Workspace - furniture, amenities, cafeteria
Good Work/Life Balance - for those who work in the office anyway
Focus on Quality - truly, all employees have a passion to produce the best product

Cons

Downward Communication - much of it feels like non-executives are lucky to be given information, as if management is doing a favor by communicating outside of their offices
Mysterious Selection - as in lots of companies, how promotions or eliminations are decided seems to be a mystery

Keep up the good work in keeping the company going through this economic downturn, Keep communication coming in a more authentic, honest way and before the press gets it.

66 Other Employee Reviews for Herman Miller (View Most Recent)

A strong Company in a weak economy.

Current Employee - Technical Machine Operator  in  Spring Lake, MI
    Current Employee - Technical Machine Operator in Spring Lake, MI

I have been working at Herman Miller

Pros

People are treated with respect, and dignity. The present times that we are looking at leads to a great sense of teamwork and pride in the job well done. When the economy turns around We as a company will be in great financial shape and still have that sense of pride and determination to satisfy our customers with whatever it takes.
    Safety and Quality are our number one priority, while being a key player in the office furniture industry.
    We are ISO registered for quality and environmental, While also participating in State programs for safety.
    All of this leads to a great working family.

Cons

More overtime than you know what to do with, management doesn't like to give credit where credit is due.
    If you have an idea that achieves a particular goal, management treats you like its part of the job and most of the time a thank you is not even considered. Career advancement is an actual problem because Middle Management gets good people in the positions that they want them in and you kinda get "stuck".
    Communications are on a once a month basis With Middle management , and once a quarter with someone in a Senior management position. These comunications relate to little more than Management speak for "we are in good shape".

Great job on guideing this company through a very rough economy, and setting us up for success in the future.

Great Company to be employed with.

Current Employee - Manufacturer Representative  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Manufacturer Representative in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Herman Miller

Pros

Top of the line product in the marketplace. The company does large amounts of marketing so customers know the name. Innovative in design of new offerings to keep the market fresh with new ideas and solutions.
    Consistantly in the top Fortune 100 places to work. Pleanty of benefits that as education assisitance, profit sharing, health, yearly bonuses and generous vacation plan.
    Retention is high for employment. Most stay with the company for over 5+ years
    Professional communication throughout the organization.

Cons

Leadership at top levels seems to transition every 5-7 years with major shifts in focus and approach.
    As political as you would expect from a large company.

Satisfy the Board that the exisiting leadership needs more than 5 years to make substantial progress toward greater market share.

There are newer employer reviews for Herman Miller

Worked for Herman Miller? Contribute to the Community!