Well Managed Company... but well led? Need more enthusiasm!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Zeeland, MI
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Zeeland, MI

I have been working at Herman Miller

Pros

Work/Life balance, competency of most co-workers, and overall reputation. Great products, great facilities.

Cons

political like any large company, not always inspiring - especially in current recession. calvinistic work ethic takes the pride, fun, and meaning out of work much of time.

encourage pride and enthusiasm, not just nose to the grindstone. the recession has been tough, but it's not all about beating ourselves up. we have a lot to be proud of. remind us of it.

Other Reviews for Herman Miller

A pretty great place to work

I worked at Herman Miller

Pros

Wonderful Workspace - furniture, amenities, cafeteria
    Good Work/Life Balance - for those who work in the office anyway
    Focus on Quality - truly, all employees have a passion to produce the best product

Cons

Downward Communication - much of it feels like non-executives are lucky to be given information, as if management is doing a favor by communicating outside of their offices
    Mysterious Selection - as in lots of companies, how promotions or eliminations are decided seems to be a mystery

Keep up the good work in keeping the company going through this economic downturn, Keep communication coming in a more authentic, honest way and before the press gets it.

A strong Company in a weak economy.

Current Employee - Technical Machine Operator  in  Spring Lake, MI
    Current Employee - Technical Machine Operator in Spring Lake, MI

I have been working at Herman Miller

Pros

People are treated with respect, and dignity. The present times that we are looking at leads to a great sense of teamwork and pride in the job well done. When the economy turns around We as a company will be in great financial shape and still have that sense of pride and determination to satisfy our customers with whatever it takes.
    Safety and Quality are our number one priority, while being a key player in the office furniture industry.
    We are ISO registered for quality and environmental, While also participating in State programs for safety.
    All of this leads to a great working family.

Cons

More overtime than you know what to do with, management doesn't like to give credit where credit is due.
    If you have an idea that achieves a particular goal, management treats you like its part of the job and most of the time a thank you is not even considered. Career advancement is an actual problem because Middle Management gets good people in the positions that they want them in and you kinda get "stuck".
    Communications are on a once a month basis With Middle management , and once a quarter with someone in a Senior management position. These comunications relate to little more than Management speak for "we are in good shape".

Great job on guideing this company through a very rough economy, and setting us up for success in the future.

There are newer employer reviews for Herman Miller.

Worked for Herman Miller? Contribute to the Community!