Hershey Medical Center

www.hmc.psu.edu
  www.hmc.psu.edu
There are newer employer reviews for Hershey Medical Center

Not a place I would recommend

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow
Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow

I have been working at Hershey Medical Center

Pros

I really can't think of many pros here. But since I must:

1. Decent benefits
2. Small institution
3. Easy commute

Cons

Where do I even begin:

1. Too much red-tape.

Nothing in this place can be done without filling out forms or getting approval from the right department. Even something as designing a flyer needs to go through the right department. And god forbid if you are up for renewal. In all likelihood employees here will get mired in Hershey Medical Center, College of Medicine, PSU. Three different entities that operate on their own terms.

2. Scientific environment.

Hershey lags so far behind the rest of the other academic institutions in scientific environment that its not funny. The odd part is that the faculty here live in denial of that disparity.

3. Lack of collaborative atmosphere.

There is marked lack of scientific collaboration here. Part of it is because there are not enough renowned experts working in this place, and partly because of the distance between the two campuses. The main campus is 2 hours away and there is no easy way to collaborate.

4. Lack of growth potential.

Unless you can play politics, there is no way you can grow in this place. There will be a million excuses for not promoting you, the favorite one being "too much paperwork." There is no incentive offered for talented individuals to work harder and perform better. It seems the administration takes pride in not promoting individuals. In one particular instance a secretarial staff even quipped that as long as person has a job, he or she should not even expect anything more in this economy.

5. Lack of compensation.

Postdocs are under the College of Medicine and therefore have a pay freeze. So even if you are working hard, publishing and getting grants funded you won't see a single cent increase in your pay. This again does not offer an incentive for people to either work here or for that matter recommend this place to other people.

6. Town of Hershey.

It is tourist trap for half a year and dead for the other half. The favorite line for attracting people here is "it is a great place to raise a family" except not in a postdoc's salary that is frozen year to year.

My advice to prospective post-doctoral fellows is to consider other places first. This place has nothing to offer. It does not have a stellar reputation and in all likelihood you won't get a job offer once you finish here, nor will you get promoted. If I knew what I know now, I would have never come here. Two years have been enough.

If you really want to make this place into a competitive research institution then you need to do more to attract top talent and retain them through competitive incentives. As of right now there is no incentive for anyone to come and work here, unless they are coming from a different country and don't know any better.

28 Other Employee Reviews for Hershey Medical Center (View Most Recent)

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Postdoctoral
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral

I have been working at Hershey Medical Center

Pros

Calm; Easy to commute - no traffic hassles; Excellent healthcare

Cons

The population in less and have there in no social interaction

Improve Pace;

Review

I have been working at Hershey Medical Center

Pros

Good work to life balance
    Reasonable salary levels
    Good reputation for quality of care and name recognition
    Coworkers are very supportive

Cons

Strategic Vision is not well defined for the average employee
    Employees can feel like numbers and not individuals
    Raises are small

Try to explain the strategy in a way that the average employee can understand
    Give managers the education and skills they need to better support thier employees

There are newer employer reviews for Hershey Medical Center