Its a good job right out of college but not any longer

Former Employee - Management Trainee in Naples, FL
Former Employee - Management Trainee in Naples, FL

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its a good job right out of college but not any longer

Cons

Money sucks for the hard work you put in

Other Employee Reviews for Hertz

It can't all be lies

Former Employee - Management Trainee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in Miami, FL

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

hmm...if you rent a lot, you will get discounts on car rentals

Cons

Where to start? Manager Trainee position should not require a college degree; I could've done this job while in high school. It’s a joke, they want college degrees but yet the pay is not even close to being decent. The only want to bring home 2000 a month after taxes would be to work 50 plus hours weekly, the bonus structure is totally not possible if you’re doing everything ethically. The company lets the customer abuse the employees and don't let the branch manager or area manager try to lie about it being easy to move up within the company. The only way to move up is if several people just die/quit, upper management is completely out of touch with what’s going on at the rental level. They want you to look professional, but yet they expect you to go out in 90 degree weather in a shirt and tie to clean cars, turn around and pick up customers and then also rent to them...wouldn't wish this on an enemy

Advice to Management

If you want quality college educated people, pay better. Hire porters to clean the cars, better work/life balance in addition to better health care coverage

Best company in a bad industry.

Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Hertz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

While working for Hertz I was really given a lot of training which I truly believe will help me throughout the rest of my career. The benefits were good, the pay was alright, and the all of the people I worked with were very competent and friendly. There is room for promotion and assuming you meet your sales quota's and aren't completely stupid, they will recognize it and reward you accordingly.

Cons

This is a sales job though they try to mask it pretty well. If you do not meet your quota on additional sales revenue per day (SRPD) for 3 months consecutively you will be terminated. That would have been nice to know up front instead of 2 weeks after working for the company, but oh well. Their is no work/life balance. You can expect to work 55+ hrs/week minimum needing to stay over at random. There were times my paychecks would have more overtime pay than regular pay. I would venture to say 75% of the Branch Manager's or Trainee's (and every title in-between) are very burnt out, and often seek other employment. This leads to an unbelievably accepted amount of turnover in employees every year, so don't expect to get too close to your co-worker you spend 12+hrs/day with. As is the case with any rental car company, you run very low on cars. Fleet is expensive in this industry and obviously you want to pay for as little as possible for it. However you typically still accept all online reservations and business even though the cars aren't there which creates a lot of understandably upset customers.

Advice to Management

Hertz is a good company and I do not regret my time working there at all. If I had to give one recommendation it would have to be that you need more staffing. A better work/life balance would create much less turnover in the very talented staff you have.