Hertz

www.hertz.com
  www.hertz.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hertz

Good for those with a "hustler" mentality

Former Employee - Branch Manager Trainee in Metairie, LA
Former Employee - Branch Manager Trainee in Metairie, LA

I worked at Hertz full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Bonus system, great overtime pay, health benefits

Cons

manager trainee track does not move as fast as you're told, bonus system qualifications change, more sales than customer service

1769 Other Employee Reviews for Hertz (View Most Recent)

It hurts to work at Hertz!

Current Employee - Hertz Manager Trainee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Hertz Manager Trainee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hertz full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Paid weekly.
    40% discount on car rentals.
    You get to drive a variety of cars.
    Well,............Thats about it.

Cons

1) The pay is less than slave wages.
    2) The hours are long, and include holidays, weekends, etc.
    3) Hertz thinks of ways to cheat employees out of hard earned bonses, things like changing the minimums, raising the bar, including area wide % minimums, etc.
    4) Customers are rude, Many know that with complaints come discounts, so they exagerate every little thing to get discounted car rentals. The Hertz system encourages complaints by rewarding whiners.
    5) The Hertz rental system goes down at least twice a week, so manual contracts have to be implemented which takes longer and irritates customers.
    6) Branch managers are lazy. In my area, 5 branch managers and one area mgr. decided to take a vacation during the Christmas holidays, the busiest season for car rentals. As a result, payroll was messed up, cars weren't availble to rent, no personel backups, and no leadership when we needed it most.
    7) This is a sales job, nothing more. Sure you rent a few cars, but what Hertz cares about most is your ability to sell coverages, upsales, babyseats, roadside services, etc. This leads to hustling the customer by many, adding on coverages they didn't ask for, over-quoting to meet sales minimums, etc.
    8) Washing cars in triple digit heat, or artic freezes while wearing business attire totally blows! I have ruined several pairs of dress slacks, shoes, shirts and ties washing cars.
    9) Hertz created customer monsters. I have to constantly upgrade customer car rentals because at our location we NEVER have economy cars. So when we finally get one and I put a customer in what they booked for, they moan and complain about getting it. How do you upsell someone into a car who has gotten it free for the last five rentals? Customers now expect upgrades everytime now, and if you don't privide it, they complain about you on customer surveys which affects your bonuses.
    10) There is a HUGE divide between the front line people and everyone else. Management places unrealistic goals and mandates on their employee's without consideration or guidance as to its implementation, or its effects.

Get rid of the lazy branch managers who don't even bother to come in. I have literally seen my manager once in two weeks, for 15 mins. Yet, he gets ALL the accolades and bonuses for the branch running smoothly with strong NPS #'s. Additionally, When recruiters promise fast tracking people, make sure it happens. At one time I was pumped to move up, now I'm pumped to move out.

I'd rather be waterboarded. Worst place ever.

Current Employee - "MANAGEMENT" Trainee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - "MANAGEMENT" Trainee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Hertz full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A paycheck (albeit a tiny one) every week. I'm only writing this because I honestly can't think of ANYTHING ELSE.

Cons

Absolutely terrible work conditions. The ceiling in every hertz office building is literally falling apart, including in their corporate offices near major airports.
    Everyone who works here hates it so the atmosphere is horrifiengly grim, especially when coupled with irate customers who insist that you bow to their every wish (except for a very tiny portion, I'm talking 3-5 people out of about 100 customers). They pay rate sucks for requiring a college degree. The products are a rip off, the condition of cars are horrible because management trainees are required to clean them and often have very little time to do so since the cars are being pulled from other locations. As a college graduate - get ready to use NONE of the things you learned in school, not one person here is professional or respectful. I was berated by a nasty woman at one of the central hertz locations for asking for a car to take back from training.
    I've often heard that you aren't supposed to like your job, but this is pushing it. I'd rather be waterboarded than have to deal with working at this place. This list is not complete but believe everything negative you see on these reviews, they're all 100% true.

I don't even know where to begin. You must have zero integrity to be able to read these reviews and not take action. I honestly hope your children don't ever have to perform a job like this. The only thing that I've learned about management on this job is that management in a company like yours is a farce. You should be ashamed.

There are newer employer reviews for Hertz