Hertz
3.3 of 5 1,553 reviews
www.hertz.com Estero, FL 5000+ Employees

It hurts to work at Hertz!

Hertz Manager Trainee (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

ProsPaid weekly.
40% discount on car rentals.
You get to drive a variety of cars.
Well,............Thats about it.

Cons1) The pay is less than slave wages.
2) The hours are long, and include holidays, weekends, etc.
3) Hertz thinks of ways to cheat employees out of hard earned bonses, things like changing the minimums, raising the bar, including area wide % minimums, etc.
4) Customers are rude, Many know that with complaints come discounts, so they exagerate every little thing to get discounted car rentals. The Hertz system encourages complaints by rewarding whiners.
5) The Hertz rental system goes down at least twice a week, so manual contracts have to be implemented which takes longer and irritates customers.
6) Branch managers are lazy. In my area, 5 branch managers and one area mgr. decided to take a vacation during the Christmas holidays, the busiest season for car rentals. As a result, payroll was messed up, cars weren't availble to rent, no personel backups, and no leadership when we needed it most.
7) This is a sales job, nothing more. Sure you rent a few cars, but what Hertz cares about most is your ability to sell coverages, upsales, babyseats, roadside services, etc. This leads to hustling the customer by many, adding on coverages they didn't ask for, over-quoting to meet sales minimums, etc.
8) Washing cars in triple digit heat, or artic freezes while wearing business attire totally blows! I have ruined several pairs of dress slacks, shoes, shirts and ties washing cars.
9) Hertz created customer monsters. I have to constantly upgrade customer car rentals because at our location we NEVER have economy cars. So when we finally get one and I put a customer in what they booked for, they moan and complain about getting it. How do you upsell someone into a car who has gotten it free for the last five rentals? Customers now expect upgrades everytime now, and if you don't privide it, they complain about you on customer surveys which affects your bonuses.
10) There is a HUGE divide between the front line people and everyone else. Management places unrealistic goals and mandates on their employee's without consideration or guidance as to its implementation, or its effects.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the lazy branch managers who don't even bother to come in. I have literally seen my manager once in two weeks, for 15 mins. Yet, he gets ALL the accolades and bonuses for the branch running smoothly with strong NPS #'s. Additionally, When recruiters promise fast tracking people, make sure it happens. At one time I was pumped to move up, now I'm pumped to move out.

I'd rather be waterboarded. Worst place ever.

"MANAGEMENT" Trainee (Current Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Hertz full-time for less than a year

Pros: A paycheck (albeit a tiny one) every week. I'm only… Cons: Absolutely terrible work conditions. The ceiling in every hertz office building is literally falling apart, including in their corporate offices near major airports. Everyone who… Advice to Senior Management: I don't even know where to begin. You must have zero integrity to be able to read these reviews and not take action. I honestly… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Good for those with a "hustler" mentality

Branch Manager Trainee (Former Employee)
    Metairie, LA

I worked at Hertz full-time for more than a year

Pros: Bonus system, great overtime pay, health benefits Cons: manager trainee track does not move as fast as you're… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Hertz.

Worked for Hertz? Contribute to the Community!

Hertz – Why Work for Us?

Who We Are In September of 1918, the pioneer of auto renting, Walter L. Jacobs, at the age of 22, opened a car-rental operation in Chicago. Starting with a dozen Model T Fords, which he repaired and repainted himself… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hertz reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hertz CEO Mark P. Frissora. All reviews posted anonymously by Hertz employees.