Hertz

www.hertz.com

Where did all these 5 star ratings come from?

Current Employee - Location Manager I
Current Employee - Location Manager I

I have been working at Hertz full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company car, time off, some of the most dedicated hard-working people to work with you will ever encounter. Sadly it's wasted on a penny squeezing, disconnected, broken operation.

Cons

Haha, where do I start? The front end employees are the life blood of this company but they are absolutely screwed by senior and mid management. Here's how it works: someone in senior management decides "Hertz needs to improve utilization by X amount this quarter to help save X amount".. X will ALWAYS be some obscure, unattainable number but it gets the shareholders drooling. Here's where it goes downhill. These goals are heavily enforced and the incentives are tasty for region managers if somehow met. So, region managers scramble to micro manage and cut from their area managers. And they do. The area managers writhe in pain at new goal of X and make the location cuts and absolutely suffer with no fleet or no staff or whatever the goal du jour is.

Ok, now we got our fleet counts down. Great! Less money wasted on extra fleet. But wait! Now were not hitting our sales goals! Now it's all SUVs but no compact cars that people booked! Now the front end agents must give out free upgrades to gas-guzzling SUVs. OR, sometimes the fleet buffer is SO LOW the location actually runs out of cars. Imagine that. Booking a car months in advance, flying in to your final airport location to meet family, friends, hit a wedding, business trip or enjoy your honeymoon. And they don't have a car for you. At all. Not one. You're forced to wait for the next one to return. 10 minutes? 40? 2 hours? No one knows! It depends on when the Smiths get back from their trip. Maybe they're in a minivan? It's the next car to return. Perfect for your upcoming business trip right? Gas guzzling clumpy minivan?

How embarrassing. For the staff. For the management. For the customer! All because the company ignorantly allowed overbooking to occur. On a massive scale. Imagine pre-paying a car and this happens! Now you're double screwed. All because region and senior management, completely disconnected from the operation, needs an extra $20k in their bonus this quarter. It's messed up but only going to get worse. Do not work here.

To add salt to the wound, expect an email maybe 2 days after the day you ran out of fleet asking why your agents substituted so many minivans and SUVs that day? "Even if you ran out of compact cars, you should have upgraded everyone to these SUVs somehow!" Shame on you and your lazy, poorly trained sales agents on the front end. Write them up. The ones doing the rentals. The ones answering the phone. The ones taking care of customer issues (usually due to the fact that the company now keeps cars for 50,000 miles to save even more money leaving beat up fleet).

It's blatantly apparent where the carrots dangle in this company. If hard work was actually rewarded at Hertz, everyone on the front end would be making $100,000 a year. Sadly, most don't make a third of that, yet they still smile and give great customer service....

Read this and do something about it! Incentivize the front line staff and operations managers!!!!!!!!!!! The compensation structure is no where near the competitors for counter agents or managers.

Oh yeah, three weeks vacation is great. If you can take it. When you take an airport Hertz location that NEEDS 50 employees just to function. Don't staff 45. It's insane.

This company is on a nasty downhill spiral since it went public. Your system will break when front line employees start committing suicide due to being overworked and soooooooo disconnected from senior management. Enjoy that class action lawsuit.

I guess none of this is a surprise after I had the (mis)fortune of meeting a member of the senior team. Bland. Blank. Impersonal. Downright lackluster. Are you guys robots?

If I could give 0 stars I probably would! Please apply elsewhere. The stress and work life balance here will give you cancer and cause early death.

Is anyone hiring?