There are newer employer reviews for Hertz

Brutal.

Former Employee - Location Manager I in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Location Manager I in Washington, DC

I worked at Hertz full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free Gas, Car Insurance & driving around a new car!

Cons

As a location manager, you are more of a salaried shift leader than an actual manager. You catch all the hell from the unhappy customers, run around supporting/working like a slave while the hourly employees are rewarded with uncapped bonuses and the same vacation benefits as you! There's nothing more depressing than finding out the people you are supposed to 'manage' make more than you while working half the amount of time!

With corporate limiting staffing to the bear minimum, location managers are forced to work 11-12 hour shifts (x5) in order to keep things afloat. During busy season location managers are forced to work along side all of their hourly employees for majority of their shifts (renting/cleaning cars/parking cars etc.) rather than actually managing. Often times managers are forced to come in on their off days to compete their managerial duties and paperwork since their is little time during their actual work week to do so.

**Also like to note that while managers step up in place of hour employees, they do not receive any bonus compensation for revenue they bring in, while the counter sales reps get anywhere between 2-10% of revenue they bring in (once they hit a low sales goal). But when your sales numbers aren't very high, you are harassed just like the counter sales reps***

Corporate uses the Free Car/Gas/Insurance Perk as justification for lousy salary and embarrassing quarterly bonuses. Its a great perk but considering all the stress & hell location managers have to deal with on a daily basis, after a while it wasn't worth it! (Around the 6 month mark I was ready to jump ship)

Compensate management better- Area Managers & Location Managers! You keep expecting more and more out of your locations while shrinking our staff (especially after the Dollar Thrifty merger), shrinking our quarterly bonus and keeping salary the same...

reviews filtered by
  1. Motivating and educational

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Santa Fe, NM
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Santa Fe, NM

I have been working at Hertz full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company really likes to promote from within. Provides all training to be successful at whatever position you are at. Leadership takes role with constantly motivating and pushing employees to succeed. Making the right changes to really be the leader in the industry

Cons

Not many complaints but with any major corporation some of the processes for approval for projects can take more time than wanted but expected with the size of this company

With huge growth that happening right now and lots of restructure be diligent in providing all managers with the tools to succeed with rapid change.

2. Great Opportunity for Grads!

Current Employee - Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Hertz full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent Training Program, great advancement opportunities, promotions based on achievements. I started working for Hertz right out of college and it was the best decision I have made. They have an excellent Trainee program that promotes based on achievements and goals. Good pay and bonus opportunities available at all levels which drives you to succeed and meet goals. Great upper level management, they are always willing to support and guide you in order to be successful.

Cons

No Cons for working at Hertz. You control your own career with this company.

There are newer employer reviews for Hertz