Hertz

There are newer employer reviews for Hertz

Customer Service Rep

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lawton, OK
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lawton, OK

I worked at Hertz full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits. I worked in an airport location that had 6 flights in a day. Needless to say, the job was slow so much of it was spent on the internet. I'm sure this doesn't happen at all locations but I must say, that was the easiest job I've ever had.

Cons

Very few employees at my location so calling in sick/vacation was almost impossible

1871 Other Employee Reviews for Hertz (View Most Recent)

Secretarial experience in Billing and Accounting Departments

Former Employee - Secretary in Parsippany, NJ
    Former Employee - Secretary in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at Hertz full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This was an excellent company. All levels of employees were friendly and easy to work with. Work environment and benefits were very good. Very little drama or controversy. Offered opportunities to update your skills on-site as well as off-site at no cost to the employee. Overall, it was a great place to work.

Cons

I truly can not remember anything that was not to my liking while working there.

Exhausting and stressful

I have been working at Hertz full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free car, gas, and insurance if you make it to Branch Manager. Great experiences dealing with the customers that are polite and respectful as well as the vast majority of employees are agreeable and friendly.

Cons

-Extremely long hours. Not uncommon for Branch Managers (BMs) to work from 7am - 7pm several days a week and potentially work Saturday shifts as well with no overtime for any of it because you are salaried.
    -EXTREMELY high stress; run yourself and your employees ragged literally all over the city to get cars for accounts and customers all while having a seemingly endless number of tedious reports and back office procedures that have completed by the end of every day (hence why BMs often stay late).
    -Fluctuating to non-existent incentive pay (even when it was clearly earned according to the plan they provided) and absolutely zero explanation or communication as to why. Positions below BMs can receive monthly incentives as well but the values that they have to acquire to make any real gains from these are for the most part ludicrous.
    -Strictly negative reinforcement. Meet their (lofty) goals or you're written up and fired.
    -Upper management completely out of touch with day to day operations of a branch. Increasingly impose new mandates and rules that must be adhered to often times in complete opposition to the way things need to be done to get through the day.
    -Dealing with the half of customers that are not polite and/or respectful.

I have worked for this company for over 7 years, and for the first few years it was a great experience. However, seemingly since the company became publicly traded, the experience has devolved into something I would not wish on my worst enemy. The company has shifted from focus on customer service and employee satisfaction to straight up money grinding. No thought or care is given at any point to the well being of its employees. The top tiers of this company consistently get huge raises while their frontline employees struggle to make ends meet living paycheck to paycheck. Concern for the well being of your employees should be paramount. Of course the company needs to make money, but it does not need to do so on the broken backs and crushed spirits of its people. Quite frankly upper management should be ashamed of themselves for the levels of stress, long hours, and low pay you saddle your employees with. One of the company's mottos implies that Hertz sets itself apart from its competition by the quality of people it employs. While I whole heartedly agree that Hertz' staff is far more personable and far less devious than some of its competition, it is abundantly clear that the company could care less about retaining those employees over the long term. Minimize the tedious work loads of extra reports to help reduce stress and help your vigorously hard working employees by paying them accordingly so they don't feel under appreciated. You NEED good employees to keep customers and bring in new ones. Show your people that you understand this by compensating them accordingly; whether by cost of living increases in base pay or merely providing them the incentives YOU promised them in a timely fashion.
    Employee morale needs a needs a shot in the arm.

However, I'm quite certain none of them will read this "advice" anyway because I am also quite certain that none of them care.

There are newer employer reviews for Hertz