Hewlett-Packard

Software Perspective

Current Employee - Business Development in Cupertino, CA
Current Employee - Business Development in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

* Potential to gain wide experience in management
* Exposure to variety of industries and vertical markets
* Opportunity to work with some exceptional, talented co-workers
* Telecommuting standard for most

As you would expect with an organization of this size, the experience at HP varies widely depending on your geo (Worldwide vs. Americas, EMEA and APJ), role (corporate vs. commercial sales team, legacy hardware vs. software vs. services) and ultimately your direct manager (or accounts if in sales). In a downturn, HP is a good place to gain or apply your experience. Some places are miserable others merely less so. The rule of large organizations and the 'sub-culture' of the particular group you are in rules more than any pervading 'HP Way' which was progressive in its time but is simply impossible to maintain in this size public company.

Software and storage-related areas seem the best places to thrive.

Cons

Frustrating organizational complexity
Disconnected and complicated processes that can hinder execution
'Managing to the process' is endemic
Poor communication tools from the peoplefinder sans titles to impossible intranet searches

Hunt down competent leader-managers and create ways to keep them outside 'the system'
Fund emerging divisions with seed capital and allow them to operate independently

9335 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

I loved HP, now it's just a company that I once worked for.

Current Employee - Program Manager in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Many job opportunities within one company (to continue seniority). You can change careers completely without ever leaving the company. That can be a great thing if you want to continue building on your seniority, but you may have to give up salary gains that you could see somewhere else. Many telecommuting opportunities which is great.

Cons

Office politics can be overwhelming. It doesn't seem like a very supportive work environment anymore, but it once was. It could just be my work group.

Try to make people want to work at HP again. There are lots of promises of making changes based on employee feedback, but it never really seems to happen.

HP's "People Promise" is Dead, the "Rules of the Garage" no longer Apply.

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Hewlett-Packard does still command some respect on a resume. From the outside, it looks like a great place to work...and most folks assume that your experience has to be a good one, since HP keeps performing so well in the marketplace. However, don't be fooled: we are performing well because of morale-sucking cost cutting, not because we are doing better at bringing products to market.

Cons

Downsides keep growing every year. This company used to care a great deal about its people, but the "People Promise" went out the window long ago, along with the "Rules of the Garage" and other systems meant to help HP one of the Best places to work. Benefits keep getting slashed, while Mark Hurd puts on a great face to Wall Street assuring everyone that everything is OK. While we may be doing well now, the best people at HP are leaving in droves, leaving only the "average" behind. Mark is going for short term wins, but I truly believe that this is at the expense of long term success.

I currently lead a remote team, but due to travel restrictions I still have not received permission to travel to meet all of my team: there are still people on my team that I have not met in person., and it's been over a year. HP is trying to institute a bonus structure that is supposed to reward people based on their perfomance. However, individual contributors have NO control over how their performance affects overall results, so your bonus really depends on the luck of the draw of being in the right group at the right time. You can work you butt off, but be in the "wrong" group, and so you don't get a bonus. This is driving pretty bad behavior at HP: people try to get into the "better" groups, leaving the ones that need the brightest people to begin with high and dry.

I don't know a single person at HP happy with their job right now - it might just be because I am in San Diego, which is primarily an Imaging and Printing group (a group with especially poor leadership at the moment), but the atmosphere at the company is pretty dismal at the moment.

I am a very high performer, but I've been worn down by the insanity. I am not given an opportunity to perform, as senior management acts only out of fear of the upper management. Like all of the other "key performers" (highest ranking at HP) that I know, I am currently looking for another job.

Here are some additional tidbits: the company is forcing everyone to take two weeks off at Christmas. If you don't have vacation to cover, you must take it upaid. Less than two months warning was given for this edict, which I believe is actually illegal in California. HP has stopped paying for cell phone usage, even for folks who are expected to live on their cell phones and be contacted at any time. All Christmas parties have been cancelled for the year. (I know that economic times are difficult, but come on: why does Mark Hurd keep telling Wall Street that we will exceed expectations next year and the year after? We know that this can only come through more cost cutting). I used to feel like a part of a team, but now we can't even spend anything for any kind of team building (let alone meeting your team in person).

It used to be easy to change careers within HP. This is much harder now: everyone is building their own empires, and it is expected that you already have experience in a particular area to be given a chance to take a job in that area. HP used to value virtual teams, but it is much harder to take a job anywhere within the company except at your current physical job site. Job advancement is harder now too: so many upper management folks are getting pushed down the management chain as jobs are slashed. This makes it even more impossible for lower level folks to contribute by managing people.

All in all, a place that really did used to value its employees no longer cares for them at all. Cost cutting is Mark's mantra, and don't be caught complaining or you'll be out the door. I'm very sad to report that I am now embarrased to work at a company I used to truly love.

Please, focus on the lifeblood of the company: the people. Otherwise, you will quickly find yourself with only mediocre people that will only be able to accomplish mediocre things. Cost cutting can help in the short term, but you are seriously harming the prospects for HP's future.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard