Hewlett-Packard

Good enough so far!

Current Employee - Systems/Software Engineer I in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Systems/Software Engineer I in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

This has been a great first job so far. Competitive salary, signing bonus, and relocation package (especially when considering the low cost of living in the area). There is plenty of interesting work going on here, and I work with some very smart engineers who are always willing to help me improve my skills. I never feel like I have my manager looking over my shoulder...I am free to spend my time at work (and outside of work) as I please, as long as I'm getting my work done. I can't imagine a software engineering job that provides a better work/life balance...definitely better than it was in school.

Cons

Morale, mostly. There are a lot of people here who are still feeling burned by upper management from the Hurd era. Leo was slightly better, but the sale/spin-off of PSG and the Touchpad issues made us all look sort of silly. Young employees (anywhere from 3-5 years older than me) are looking for employment elsewhere, for understandable reasons. They have seen few bonuses and even fewer raises during their time here. This past year has been different, but the changes came too late for them. Just about every young employee I know got a bonus or a raise AND a bonus, but many took a new job that started in January 2012...the train had already left the station.

Some project timelines are a bit unrealistic, and some of the older employees are being overworked because of it...but I can only speak well to my own personal experience. Your experience is very dependent on how good of a manager you have. Some are obviously better than others. Also, upper management in the Leo era was hilariously bad at communicating big, important changes to the rest of us. Things have gotten a bit better under Meg, but there hasn't been anything quite as earth-shattering as the potential PSG sale/spin-off either.

Hopefully management recognizes that they need to continue rewarding people for their hard work. Keep work expectations realistic. DON'T DO STUPID THINGS, but if you must, please give the rest of us a heads up.

9490 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

Getting better

Current Employee - Product Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Virtual office / home office is encouraged, work / life balance, decent benefits compared to other top tier companies (which does not say much about HP's peer set - because HP's benefits have gotten worse every year over the past few years).

Cons

As with anything, without a consistent management and leadership team, it's difficult to really understand the company I work for.

Keep a management team longer than one year.

job is good, pay not so much

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Folsom, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Folsom, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

great people, good management, flexible

Cons

the pay, really. been underpaid for years.

pay your employees what they are worth...otherwise they WILL look elsewhere

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard