Hewlett-Packard

Good enough so far!

Current Employee - Systems/Software Engineer I  in  Houston, TX
Current Employee - Systems/Software Engineer I in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

This has been a great first job so far. Competitive salary, signing bonus, and relocation package (especially when considering the low cost of living in the area). There is plenty of interesting work going on here, and I work with some very smart engineers who are always willing to help me improve my skills. I never feel like I have my manager looking over my shoulder...I am free to spend my time at work (and outside of work) as I please, as long as I'm getting my work done. I can't imagine a software engineering job that provides a better work/life balance...definitely better than it was in school.

Cons

Morale, mostly. There are a lot of people here who are still feeling burned by upper management from the Hurd era. Leo was slightly better, but the sale/spin-off of PSG and the Touchpad issues made us all look sort of silly. Young employees (anywhere from 3-5 years older than me) are looking for employment elsewhere, for understandable reasons. They have seen few bonuses and even fewer raises during their time here. This past year has been different, but the changes came too late for them. Just about every young employee I know got a bonus or a raise AND a bonus, but many took a new job that started in January 2012...the train had already left the station.

Some project timelines are a bit unrealistic, and some of the older employees are being overworked because of it...but I can only speak well to my own personal experience. Your experience is very dependent on how good of a manager you have. Some are obviously better than others. Also, upper management in the Leo era was hilariously bad at communicating big, important changes to the rest of us. Things have gotten a bit better under Meg, but there hasn't been anything quite as earth-shattering as the potential PSG sale/spin-off either.

Hopefully management recognizes that they need to continue rewarding people for their hard work. Keep work expectations realistic. DON'T DO STUPID THINGS, but if you must, please give the rest of us a heads up.

8882 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

My work at HP has allowed me to learn new technology and new processes .

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

1. Learning new technology.
    2. People ( very competent engineers).
    3. Allows telecommuting.

Cons

1. Top management instability in recent years.

Good, but not great.

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Conway, AR
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Conway, AR

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Comfortable atmosphere to work and great benefits. This is a great place to start a career in sales and has a top notch training program.

Cons

Two Words: Senior Leadership

In sales, you can have a huge influence on a lot of things... none of which will be your paycheck. You have a better chance of predicting your winnings at a casino than what your commission check will look like.

A clear direction is required in order to keep quality employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!