Good enough so far!

Current Employee - Systems/Software Engineer I in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Systems/Software Engineer I in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

This has been a great first job so far. Competitive salary, signing bonus, and relocation package (especially when considering the low cost of living in the area). There is plenty of interesting work going on here, and I work with some very smart engineers who are always willing to help me improve my skills. I never feel like I have my manager looking over my shoulder...I am free to spend my time at work (and outside of work) as I please, as long as I'm getting my work done. I can't imagine a software engineering job that provides a better work/life balance...definitely better than it was in school.

Cons

Morale, mostly. There are a lot of people here who are still feeling burned by upper management from the Hurd era. Leo was slightly better, but the sale/spin-off of PSG and the Touchpad issues made us all look sort of silly. Young employees (anywhere from 3-5 years older than me) are looking for employment elsewhere, for understandable reasons. They have seen few bonuses and even fewer raises during their time here. This past year has been different, but the changes came too late for them. Just about every young employee I know got a bonus or a raise AND a bonus, but many took a new job that started in January 2012...the train had already left the station.

Some project timelines are a bit unrealistic, and some of the older employees are being overworked because of it...but I can only speak well to my own personal experience. Your experience is very dependent on how good of a manager you have. Some are obviously better than others. Also, upper management in the Leo era was hilariously bad at communicating big, important changes to the rest of us. Things have gotten a bit better under Meg, but there hasn't been anything quite as earth-shattering as the potential PSG sale/spin-off either.

Advice to Management

Hopefully management recognizes that they need to continue rewarding people for their hard work. Keep work expectations realistic. DON'T DO STUPID THINGS, but if you must, please give the rest of us a heads up.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Good teams, poor leadership

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Smart people to work with who care about their clients and teams. Domestic partner benefits, work from home, flexible on giving sick time.

Cons

Very bureaucratic, difficult to get promoted or change to a different business unit, poor communication from senior leadership and in 5 years of working there, my salary was cut 5% and then brought back to just above where I started.

2. My work at HP has allowed me to learn new technology and new processes .

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

1. Learning new technology.
    2. People ( very competent engineers).
    3. Allows telecommuting.

Cons

1. Top management instability in recent years.