There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

A good place to retire if you can avoid the continual layoffs

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Santa Clara, CA
Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Older people are employed so you don't need to be a 20 something to fit in...no sense of urgency so you can have regular hours as long as you get your job done in a timely manner. Good people. Politics seems to be at the higher levels which makes it easy to be a good team member with your colleagues.

Cons

Not much information is passed down from upper management. Schedules are not very aggressive. Depending on what division you are working in there is no sense of job security.

Good Luck! Figure out your business strategy!

reviews filtered by
  1. A decent working environment.

Former Employee - Pricing Consultant in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Pricing Consultant in Herndon, VA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

The brand name of company.

Cons

Managers are not fully supportive of your long term goals.

Take proper time to train employees.

Good enough so far!

Current Employee - Systems/Software Engineer I in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Systems/Software Engineer I in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

This has been a great first job so far. Competitive salary, signing bonus, and relocation package (especially when considering the low cost of living in the area). There is plenty of interesting work going on here, and I work with some very smart engineers who are always willing to help me improve my skills. I never feel like I have my manager looking over my shoulder...I am free to spend my time at work (and outside of work) as I please, as long as I'm getting my work done. I can't imagine a software engineering job that provides a better work/life balance...definitely better than it was in school.

Cons

Morale, mostly. There are a lot of people here who are still feeling burned by upper management from the Hurd era. Leo was slightly better, but the sale/spin-off of PSG and the Touchpad issues made us all look sort of silly. Young employees (anywhere from 3-5 years older than me) are looking for employment elsewhere, for understandable reasons. They have seen few bonuses and even fewer raises during their time here. This past year has been different, but the changes came too late for them. Just about every young employee I know got a bonus or a raise AND a bonus, but many took a new job that started in January 2012...the train had already left the station.

Some project timelines are a bit unrealistic, and some of the older employees are being overworked because of it...but I can only speak well to my own personal experience. Your experience is very dependent on how good of a manager you have. Some are obviously better than others. Also, upper management in the Leo era was hilariously bad at communicating big, important changes to the rest of us. Things have gotten a bit better under Meg, but there hasn't been anything quite as earth-shattering as the potential PSG sale/spin-off either.

Hopefully management recognizes that they need to continue rewarding people for their hard work. Keep work expectations realistic. DON'T DO STUPID THINGS, but if you must, please give the rest of us a heads up.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard