There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

HP wants to destinguish itself from other companies, yet is doing everything to be like the others

Current Employee - Systems Manager in Quebec, QC (Canada)
Current Employee - Systems Manager in Quebec, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

flexability in working from home.

Cons

HP does not follow is claims to a fair work life balance. I don't know anyone at HP who does only their regular amount of work hours. Everyone I know and work with do between 120 to 150 and more % of work ( time put in )

Advice to Management

stop cutting away at the benefits we had ( which were good ) as an example we used to get 15% for carrying a pager ( this is called GAP , guaranteed availability pay ) then you cut that down to 7.5% , now since June you have taken away the remaining 7.5% and it is now 0% since June 1 2008 you replaced the original 15% by giving us GAP 5% Tier - will receive 2% salary increase to FY07 base salary (base salary as of Oct. 31, 2007) - GAP 7.5% Tier - will receive 3% salary increase to FY07 base salary (base salary as of Oct. 31, 2007) quite a loss in salary. not to mention all the other benefits you have already cut. HP is always brain washing its employees with "we need to stay focused" on client satisfaction and the job at hand while they keep offshoring thousands of jobs to India, Costa Rica, Mexico. You say you need to be competative and we ( the workers need to tighten our belts ) all while HP keeps on buying up companies the latest one being EDS for about 12 - 13 billon. I checked on google and found that HP has bought out about 35 companies in the last four or so years. an other of which was Compaq $21 billon. I know the compoany needs to make money for the share holders, but you ought to think more about your employees and their health , the very employees who made this comnpany what is it today. Stop telling us you don't have money !! Your way of giving compensation for work achieved also is very unfair. I am in the outsourcing support part of HP and haven't had a raise now in the last five years, because I am in a department that does not make money I am penelized, while someone working in the printing sector of HP ( printing has also made money ), they get bonuses. We all work for HP and the profit sharing in my opion should be shared amongst all employees , not just the depatrments that make money... so if outsourcing of support does not make money for the next ten years, I won't be getting and raise or bonus for ten years to come ?????

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Used to be a great company to work for. Now an average company.

Former Employee - Delivery Consultant III in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Delivery Consultant III in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

You will have the opportunity to work with smart really people from time to time.

Cons

Bureaucratic organization. Focus on quarterly results which borders myopia. Very competitive market.

Advice to Management

Try to be less of a spreadsheet manager, even though that's difficult in such a large firm.

2. Once in the top ten employers!

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Being part of infrastructure design using the latest technologies.

Cons

lack of profit sharing and/or stock options

Advice to Management

Bring back profit sharing and stock options for non management staff.