Hewlett-Packard

www.hp.com
  www.hp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

A good place to work if you're interested in technology; not so great if you want to develop your career

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager  in  Cupertino, CA
Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Great for geeks: lots of relevant technologies to work on. Plenty of interesting projects are available for people who like to get involved. HP has some of the most talented people I have ever met, honest and very friendly. In general, everyone wants to do the right thing to make the team stronger.

Cons

It is not a meritocracy; it seems like a "body is a body" regardless of your background or actual skills. Many people get re-assigned not based on their interests, but rather on the demands of the last downsizing. Reorganizations are so frequent that time is wasted trying to work with your new manager and new team every 6 - 9 months. Consistency in the management culture is lacking; very weak compared with other companies. The company does not invest in productivity tools; internal IT support is very weak.

Measure and reward people based on stated quarterly goals. Have a true tops-down driven culture where the goals are completely transparent at every level, so that each person knows exactly what's expected, and can focus on both short term and long term objectives.

8798 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

Could be worse...

Current Employee - Worker Bee  in  Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Worker Bee in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

It's a big ship that's being slowly and carefully steered. Perhaps not the most nimble, so it may not cross the finish line first, but it won't capsize very easily during a storm.

There are still people in the company who try to do the right thing for the company and the customer instead of just looking out for their own interests. A lot of bright people still work there and for the most part, the work atmosphere is very collegial. Temper tantrums and big egos are not welcome. Cool heads and analytical reasoning prevail.

Cons

Virtual teams used to be better managed. The current travel restrictions can make it difficult to receive recognition from a remote manager.

Do not be so quick to kill off HP-UX. Listen to the customers who still want big iron.

A great place to work!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Very technology driven, forward-thinking environment. Encourages innovation, entrepreneurial spirit. Excellent employee benefits packages and salary. Strong support for working parents, flexible work schedules, telecommuting, etc. The division I worked for was extremely fast paced, which may not appeal to everyone (but I'm sure isn't representative of all of HP either). The management team was extremely effective at getting exceptional results out of each and every team member, and really worked hard to promote a "team" atmosphere. Probably one of the least political organizations I've ever worked for, with a hand-picked team of exceptional people.

Cons

Long long hours, lots of work. The division I worked for (retail photo solutions) was a startup within HP, and was trying to do a lot with very limited resources, so 60-80 hour work weeks were pretty standard within my team. This is fine for short-term "sprints", but is not sustainable (at least, not for most people...) Management was really struggling with getting work-life balance back to their employees - however, this was also something they were very concerned about (as opposed to other companies I've worked in, where they will just suck you dry.) The rapidity of change might be a turnoff to some, but I rather enjoyed it - again, might be more pervasive in this particular division when compared with HP on the whole.

Work on helping your employees maintain work-life balance. The corporate culture is excellent - try and keep it that way.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!