Hewlett-Packard

Happy at HP

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Well Managed company - would like to work there until retirement

Cons

There is a lack of belonging to a team when you work at a customer site

Other Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Enlighted thinking on Mobility

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

I am classified as a 'mobile' worker so I can work from home or the old Compaq campus off Hwy 249 in a 'free address' cubicle. Since it is a 45-60 minute commute, I spend my time at a home office most days, unless I want to work out at the fitness center (free!). I love it. My boss is a mobile employee as is her boss. We all talk on conference calls and work on presentations/spreadsheets in virtual rooms. It's a great environment! I get to see my kids!

Cons

Because so many of my team work from home and travel budget is limited, I have to be aggresive to meet people and force myself to go to networking events.

My advise to management is to embrace employee mobility. My broadband and business line are at my own expense. It is worth it; however, I know my presence in a home office is a money-saver for my employer. It would be nice to have them share the expense or negotiate a corporate rate for me. Given the companty's size and scale, they can get these services cheaper than I can alone.

A rewarding experience.

Former Employee - Subject Matter Expert  in  Pontiac, MI
    Former Employee - Subject Matter Expert in Pontiac, MI

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

It can be very rewarding from a professional perspective. Some counterparts are more technically inclined than others but it is never a problem. Targets are usually reached on time. Management will give you more duties and authority as you get better at your job and show your potential. There is always more training and thus the opportunity to learn new things.

Cons

If you are a contractor forget about transitioning to a full-time employee position. Contractors get paid a fraction of full-time employees and do not get same training and/or advancement opportunities. Your job may transition abroad and you may lose it at any time. Most high-tech jobs have already been outsourced and the know-how within u.s. is being lost...

Please consider hiring some contractors instead of hiring a totally new person from the street. I had the opportunity to work with some contractors and some are very good workers and know what needs to be done unlike some of the full-time employees who are paid a lot more and get many benefits by comparison. Also, please try to keep some of the jobs within the u.s., particularly those that take technical skills. Sending all of these jobs abroad is bad for morale and may affect the company's competitive advantage. The fact that you are cutting cost does not make you efficient.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard.

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!