Hewlett-Packard

www.hp.com
  www.hp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Formerly great company now an 'OK' place to work.

Current Employee - Program Manager in Vancouver, WA
Current Employee - Program Manager in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Major global tech company. HP did a great job of hiring excellent people in the past and many of them are still around -- great people to work with. Opportunities to work in global environment -- many overseas partners. Great learning opportunities.

Cons

The classic HP Way is dead, dead, dead! While we are coasting on the residual value of what was once a great corporate culture, we are now the moral equivalent of Walmart. Do it cheap! Offshore it! Make sure the payback is fast!
Benefits have been severely eroded, pay raises non-existent, and bonuses are unfairly distributed according to secret formulas. IT has been taken over and gutted by a bunch of goobers from Walmart and Dell. They believe their job is to make all users completely miserable and they do it well.

They don't want my advice. Or yours.

9467 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

Good place but no longer a great place to advance your career

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Its a large stable company, there are opportunities to move around, but most opportunities are lateral moves.

Cons

Lack of career growth opportunities and the incentivties for Technical folks. Employees have only seen reduction in benefits since 2001, salary growth is on an average 2% p.a even when the company does well overall. Stock options are usually given to management and no longer to individual technical contributors. There is way too much focus on cost controls than innovation (compare this to Apple and the likes). Of late most growth has been focused on inorganic growth - acquiring companies which probably have good products with bad management. The bad management isnt removed before integrating the company.

Open door policy, encourage technical talent as did Bill and David.

HP, a great place to be if you're a workaholic.

Current Employee - IT Manager in Corvallis, OR
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Corvallis, OR

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

You generally have a fair amount of work hour flexiblity. You can come and go as needed. The downside of that is the in many groups the expectatin is you work at all hours of the day and night. The compensation I feel overall is pretty good. You won't get rich but we have a lot of programs and the salary is good. The work is often challenging and engaging. The lower level management is supportive and tries. The rank and file are often top notch.

Cons

Work-life balance is atrocious. Your hourly rate will still increase by leaving and taking a 20% pay cut. You truly are a faceless resource when it comes to senior management. I feel they are doing what is best for company which also happens to be what their performance bonus are based off of. Bureaucracy runs rampant and myopic planning focus on the one year plan. Top priorities often shift so day to day planning is often tough. Job security is non-existent. The carrots are being taken away and replaced by ever bigger sticks.

Show a little personal integrity. Implementing cost-cutting measures like removing eAwards but taking tens of million dollar performance packages is the epitome of personal creed and lack of integrity.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard