Hewlett-Packard
3.0 of 5 8,229 reviews
www.hp.com Palo Alto, CA 5000+ Employees

Struggling to right the ship, buy not investing to do so

Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
Vancouver, WA

ProsLarge, diversified company with broad geographic reach.
Salary direct deposit still taking place twice a month.
New hope for turnaround due to the appointment of Meg Whitman as CEO.

ConsStrategy du jour from upper management based on CEO or executives current hot buttons or highlighted business issues. One day it is innovation, the next cost savings, the next revenue growth, etc.
No salary growth for past 5-8 years. Zero.
Benefits are industry standard - used to be market leading in the 'old days'.
Constant cut-backs and layoffs. Been told to do more with less many times over. Lots of talk about cutting out non-productive work and focusing on fewer things. Never happens though.
Those left are hanging on in wait of an improving external job market.
Ranking / rating system in dire need of a major overhaul. Can exceed your goals substantially but still be rated average or below. Profess to desire team approach, but rewards based on individuals outperformaing their team members leading to politics, infighting and catching the attention of management.
Managers don't manage people, they perform the same jobs as individual contributors, but happen to have people reporting to them.
No raises when promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to understand the turmoil and distrust that has been bred over the past decade. It cannot be turned around overnight, but if steps in the right direction are taken, it will go a long way toward moving in a positive direction. Focus on employee needs and feeding the innovation pipeline. Every thing else should be secondary. Quit hiring new Senior VPs externally. Have had several new executive hires after stating that we would promote from within (for a change). All this while getting rid of 27,000 employees through early retirement and layoffs. Shameful.

Low-pay, good-benefits, challenging work, rough-times ahead

Information Developer II (Current Employee)
    Pontiac, MI

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Decent benefits Challenging work Online training Ability to work from home or be co-located at HP… Cons: Lower Pay Tough to move into new positions Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Layoff

Director (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Used to be a good company Cons: In 2012, has a lot of turnaround to do Advice to Senior Management: Read Origins, Dave Packard's book -- and learn the HP… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Hewlett-Packard.

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!

Hewlett-Packard – Why Work for Us?

The start-up that started it all. Six decades before high tech and dot coms existed, classmates Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard built an audio oscillator in a garage and launched a technology revolution. Today we’re… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hewlett-Packard reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman. All reviews posted anonymously by Hewlett-Packard employees.