Hewlett-Packard

www.hp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Good company but could do more to provide people a fulfilling career

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Large, global company with exposure to almost the entire IT industry; so lots of opportunities in good times (times are tough now).

Cons

One can get lost in most positions in the company with no real visibility into whats happening in other places in the company; No real flexibility in job rotation to internal candidates..Eg. if one is in a strategic role and wants to move into an operating role, making that move is not that easy...or atleast I haven't seen anyone do that successfully in the few years I have been here.

Bring compensation at parity to market, provide flexibility for rotation internally.

9965 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

Stop thinking tactically and look to the long term health of HP

Current Employee - Senior Solution Architect in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Solution Architect in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

HP still has some of the best products. There are residuals of the old "HP Way" that has long kept the company ethical and humane, when related to customers and staff.

Cons

HP still has not figured out if it really wants to be in the services business and if it does; what exactly that business is going to look like in the future. After years of trying to build a general services portfolio, it has now acquired EDS, and Outsourcing seems to be the new face of services. HP will be many service opportunities if the only options being offered are sourcing related.

HP Executives need to figure out what the game plan is and stick to it. I was involved in a project for over 8 months, that was designing new go to market strategies, only to have that project summarily cancelled due to budget cuts, which did not seem to take into account the strategic importance of work we had completed. That was an investment of close to $250k, which ended up with zero return. This is becoming more and more typical of shortsighted near term tactical thinking, and need to stop for the long term viability of the company.

Cutting Fat(Cost) is good but its painful if it cutting the bones

Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

I have a job, close to my home

Cons

Cutting cost hurts when the benefits and salary keep on cutting either HP perform good or bad. Its been going on for two years. The cost cutting is becoming painful if this continue I believe only higher management will stay. Work day and night there is no standard work hours.

They need to care for employee besides just caring for investors. It has to be balanced.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard