There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Good people, focused on cost cutting and enterprise

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Palo Alto, CA
Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Sharp people, generally high integrity. Superb at distribution channel marketing and sales. Market leader in most segments played with high quality products and services/. Financially very disciplined.

Cons

Limited opportunities on consumer side as focus shifts to enterprise. Company focused on cost cutting. Big company with big company org challenges. Businesses dependent on IT/Engineering resources face challenges getting necessary committments. Some risks on corporate portfolio bets.

Advice to Management

Balance outside recruiting on senior positions with internal promotion. Tendency to undervalue inhouse leadership. 50% fail rate on outside hires at senior levels. Refocus on market and competition, less on internal empires.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

One of five laid off due to bad mismanagement and broken procedures

Current Employee - ITO Specialist III in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - ITO Specialist III in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

They have decent benefits
    Close to home
    Easy to transfer into other groups if you know the right people

Cons

The Pay
    Too many managers for the same task or department
    The illegal contracts
    The lack of recognition
    The lack of communication
    No proactive measures in place
    The fact that they would fire 5 newly hired employees because a big client "might be" leaving
    Zero visibility into what management or even the other teams are doing
    Dealing with ignorant and rude level 2 and level 3 support units
    Confusing and misleading documentation/procedures

Advice to Management

Open up the channels of communication
    Stop playing the blame game and OWN UP to your failures and faults
    Follow the terms of your support contracts
    Actually DO the work you're asking your employees to do
    Stop PRETENDING to be managers and have the balls/ovaries to make the right decisions

HP: a comedy of errors and mismanagement masquerading as a Dow Jones Industrial Average stock

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

The best reason to work for Hewlett-Packard is that you already have a job there and the job market is in tough shape. Seriously, if you value your work experience and hope to achieve recognition for technical excellence, look elsewhere for your employment.

Cons

HP has been lead by some of the most incompetent management I have ever witnessed. The place has absolutely stagnated in the time that I have been there. Ever since the merger with Compaq, the "HP Way" -- the promise that the company made to its employees about how they would be valued -- has been completely and utterly thrown out. All of Compaq's rotten management strategies, such as regular, recurring workforce reductions, were brought in, and the Compaq folks poisoned the well of good management that once made for a healthy, growing HP. With the recent acquisition of EDS, we are now not only being exposed to HP mismanagement, but EDS mismanagement as well. The group that I work for was the most profitable in HP in Q4 2008. After the EDS merger became effective, we became the least profitable (as we were in the part of HP that was folded in under the EDS brand.) We have taken the brunt of the punishment for this -- unfair wage reductions chief among the items I could name, continual pressure to take vacation time at the company's convenience (so as to get the untaken vacation time off the books and thus make the company look better on Wall St.)

HP is now governed strictly by the bottom line on Wall Street. Instead of being an engineering tour du force with a nice line of profitable products, we are vendors of the mediocre. We supply the cheapest services possible from the lowest wage countries. If an employee needs support from our internal IT support, he's better off finding a colleague who can fix the problem for him. All of our benefits management has been outsourced to companies who care only about the bottom line instead of the wellbeing of the people whose care they have been entrusted with. As for senior management, the recent debacle where Mr. Hurd was forced to testify before Congress to answer for the illegal privacy-robbing shenanigans of a board member should tell you everything you need to know.

Even more concerning is the brain drain that is going on at the company. The best and the brightest, of course, are headed for the exits. Technical training has been cut to the point where it is impossible to get. As someone else mentioned, travel within the company has been restricted to the point where you may never meet your boss in person, much less anyone who works for you. I have subordinates that I cannot train in person who are not effective in their job performance as a result.

When the job market improves, I will leave. In the meantime, I'm hoping the wheels don't fall off the company during this current economic downturn while I still need it for employment.

Advice to Management

Bring back the HP way and refocus your efforts on the job satisfaction of your employees. Re-emphasize technical aptitude and training. Stop acquiring junk has-been companies just because you think it makes the portfolio look better. And most of all, restore our salaries and the bonus programs! Do these things and you will once again be assured of profitability. Fail to do them and watch the formerly great ship known as HP sink.