Hewlett-Packard

Dont work here....

Current Employee - Human Resources Program Manager  in  Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Human Resources Program Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Still some good people left from the "old HP."

Cons

Miserable work environment, constantly churning senior management that treats employees like expendable commodities and little chance for career development.

You're not going to fix this company until you treat your employees like equal partners.

8882 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

HP - Sitting on the Dock - watching It's Competition Sailing Away

Current Employee - Finance Analyst  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Finance Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

HP's best asset is it's people. We have many talented, hard-working people. Meg is trying to turn us around.

Cons

A company succeeds because of strong leadership and vision. We are hoping Meg can turn things around but the remianing 320,000 need to be reenergized. I have been at HP for over 15 years and have never seen the morale so low. Our Finance organization just announced another reorganization. We moved to a country model 5-6 years ago and now we are moving to a business unit model. Management is dragging out the 29,000 layoffs until 2014 which continues the overall insecurtiy that everyone feels. We understand revenue is down why can't we move faster with the cuts? Why did we not let people know that their job may now go away so they could make an educated decision about taking EER. I love what I do, love my job, turned down EER and now may find out my job may be gone or moved to a lower cost country. The company needs to reconcider offering another EER if they are planning .to WFR people with 65 + points. My team is down to less than 100 people left in the US, have moved hundreds of jobs to lower cost countries and are being asked to cut more. We see more cuts being made to individual co ntributors than executives and more VP's are being hired where all the large salaries, bonuses, and stock options fall. Alot of people are interviewing outside the company. HP needs to think about what they are going to do come bonus and salary time. They need to think about offering retention bonuses, decent salary increases, or a cost of living increase not performance bonuses or alot of the key talent will go as the economy picks up. HP is guilty of hurting the US economy with all the o ff shoring they have done and our team is being asked to do more of it with less than 100 people left in the US. We are in this predicament because of poor Executive and Board of Directors decisions. We bought Palm for their technology so where are our tablets and smartphones? The employees are tired of all the uncertainty and continued layoffs and are looking for strong leadership and a vision that will get us off the dock. Our Executives keep communicating but we need to see some action.

We understand you have to make cuts but make sure you are looking at the plan, making smart decisions on who you are letting go, and being fair to the people who are being cut. Move faster so the people left can move on without continued insecurity. Look at making cuts to senior executives, VP's, and board members not just the lower ranking employees. We keep seeing VP's being hired and individual contributors being laid off. Give your employees who qualify for EER the right to make an educated decision on whether they should take it.. It's the respectful, decent thing to do. If more of the layoffs coming up now are for folks who qualified for EER, offer them EER again.

Work environment getting worse day by day

Current Employee - Section Manager  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Section Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good teamwork, good people, nicely renovated buildings

Cons

Company has lost sense of direction

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!