Hewlett-Packard

Back to the Basics

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Roseville, CA
Former Employee - Project Manager in Roseville, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexibility, Work/Life Balance if you're good at your own personal time management

Cons

Employee Satisfaction, No longer The HP Way

Other Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Not a clue about how to treat their employees!!

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Camp Hill, PA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Camp Hill, PA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Was a job I had for over 4 years during the "Great Recession" it was nice to have a job.

Cons

Paid 20 -30K below median pay scale. Treated very poorly. Very low scale on the job training. Felt like a number. Some areas were managed like a fraternity/high school clique. Management by fear. Annual pay increases did not occur three out of the 4 years employed there. Never felt as if the ship was being steered in the right direction.

Case and point, HP had 3 CEO's in two years. HP has not come up with any new innovations to propel them forward or capitalize on any of their company purchases. Examples include: the BILLIONS of dollars used to purchase EDS, that was a bust. The stock prices went in the toilet over that one, and the Autonomy debacle also has caused serious doubts about board decisions. They spent more money making bad financial decisions when they should have been pumping those monies into R and D, Management training. and annual salary increases. Definitely not a good employment choice.

Reinvent from the top down, make good financial decisions, accept blame and take personal responsibility when making any decision. Listen to your employees more deeply, and pay them fairly based on the work level and results provided. Pray that your company is around in 50 years or someone like Oracle will own you.

hp Executive Management doesn't have a clue

Current Employee - Technology Consultant IV  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Technology Consultant IV in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have been able to perform at a level that allowed me to remain employed during the past four years and beyond. But then, I also have been able to perform at a level that allowed me to prosper and therefore survive the Compaq acquisition of Digital Equipment Corporation in 1998, plus the HP acquisition of Compaq in 2002. I always seek to work with computer hardware and software solutions that have the most promise, carefully avoiding those solutions that are injust a "me-too" category to say we offer it.

Cons

Don't come to HP thinking you will achieve the salary level I have. The new mantra from Human Resources is that you will no longer receive any COLA adjustments to your salary, only the "possibility of an annual bonus, subject to the overall performance of the company". The problem with this is that individually, you have no incentive to perform at a high level as they give everyone the same bonus, or no bonus at all, if they deem revenue and profit inadequate. So, I have adjusted to this by evolving into only an "average" employee.

HP Job Requisitions in JobSearcher go unfilled due to the lowball compensation offered. HP Executives continue to receive the Million-Dollar compensation increases for a company with a stock value at $ 15.00 a share. It's a cliche', but "You get what you pay for" at the individual contributor level, so don't expect much of your new hires, as they will have no training or experience for that $ 50,000 annual salary you pay them.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard.

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!