Hewlett-Packard

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

I like working here

Current Employee - Project Manager in Alpharetta, GA
Current Employee - Project Manager in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I work as a Project Manager (Contractor). I find the environment is not as stressed out as my past positions (which inlcude AT&T and Verizon). The work load is very reasonable. The time frame given to complete projects is reasonable. And the one thing I really like is that your team takes personal responsibility for the projects too. So you don't spend all your time nagging them to get the work done. But you still have to stay on top of things but for the most part, the people here are very easy to work with and do what they say they are going to do in a timely manner.

The projects are very interesting. You will learn a lot very quickly and there is a lot of support on the project if you bump into roadbumps.. I have a very helpful and supportive manager. They company also sponsors a lot of fun events from charities to recreational and seem to have a pretty good work life balance. For these reasons, I will be working until my contract ends. All in all I am very happy here.

Cons

The biggest issue here is everything is always up in the air. The company is going through some sort of re-organization right now. So one day, the project you are working on is above the line and all systems are go. The next day, the project is below the line and it's on hold. Several managers have left or have been re-organized, so it's hard to say where things will land. Most people who start here sit around for about a month before they get a project or direction on what to do. If you have a project, it's fine. But if you don't it's unnerving. Changes occur on a regular basis. As a contractor, I am the last to know since we don't receive company emails.

The other issue for some people is since the projects are global, you can be on conference calls at all times of the day or night. But for this, you can work remote if the calls are not during the traditional hours. (This is not the case for everyone).

But for me all, it's a nice place to work.

9490 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

Great people, hard work, low wages, information overlord

Former Employee - Field Service Laptop/Desktop Tech in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Field Service Laptop/Desktop Tech in Stamford, CT

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Promotions from within. This means your manager has done your job. This is rare these days, and golden for effective management. Work from home office. Company provides new laptop, cell phone, printer, office supplies. New company vehicle replaced every 2 years, with personal use allowed. Generally great coworkers and immediate managers.

Cons

Entry level pay while expected to handle job like it's your own service business. Having to order and pick up parts on a daily basis while trying to fulfil heavy daily service call requirement. Vehicle promoted as free in interview, but is actually considered a salary bonus, and taxed accordingly. $150 a month deducted for "free" car. On call every couple of weeks to cover major enterprise level customers like GE, and their mission critical server rooms. Even though you fix laptops 99% of the time. Server repair training all on line and overwhelming with the amount of models you need to study. Huge requirement to online training with no time for it. Because of expectation that you operate like an entrepreneur, the job takes over your life. Quota to come up with sales leads. Too many emails

Don't put lower end laptop techs in the position to cover your high level enterprise customers. Don't make technicians sell; they hate it. Let them focus on what they're good at, fixing machines.

HP remains a great place to work

Current Employee - Partner Business Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Partner Business Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

HP has fought through hard times in the recent years however the company has remained a key player in the technology field. With hard times come hard decision however HP has remained loyal to its workers that have built this company.

Cons

Sometimes HP can lose sight of the individual, however when you have 300,000 plus employees worldwide that can happen.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard