Hewlett-Packard

www.hp.com

Gridlock at HP has halted innovation and productivity

IT Manager (Current Employee)

ProsManageable hours and reasonable work-life balance.

Consdisfunctional processes and procedures have created a crippling deadlock where nothing gets done without an escalation from upper management. There is an entirely disfuctional business model, especially within the IT organization. The next generation data center idea looked good on paper but the amount of gridlock and friction it has created, is beyond belief. More than likely the cost of all the delays and effort that goes into getting the simplest requests done, was not calculated in the total cost of the NGDC. It is crippling, extremely hard and frustrating for everyone to the point that the frustration level is at it's highest I have ever seen.
The cut backs and layoffs have created an avalanche of work that has buried the workforce to the point that to get a simple response from different functional teams required a heroic act. The workforce is overworked, under-staffed and overwhelmed. The complex system of processes and convoluted inter-dependencies has created a situation in which a simplest change or request within the IT organization warrants a long list of approvals from top management. No one is enabled or willing to make any decisions at the individual contribution level.
The never ending cuts in benefits and programs, combined with the difficulty of performing every day duties has created a stressful environment to work in.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop thinking about the bottom line for a minute, and look beyond the next quarter's results for the wall street. Listen to what the people in the trenches are saying and try to fix the real problems.

CEO is a one trick pony

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Boise, ID

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros: Close to my house gives me a short commute. The pay… Cons: The CEO seems to know only a single dial to turn .... cut staff. Morale is lower than anywhere I have worked. There is… Advice to Senior Management: You need to establish trust and respect with your employees. Your employees look to you for leadership, all we see is an axe and… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

HP - a great place to get a job (if you can find one)

Section Manager (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros: HP is a mature company, and a very stable place to work in a tough economic climate. High technology employer with a large… Cons: One of the downsides of working in any Fortune 500 company is that they need to put a certain number of jobs overseas "in order… Advice to Senior Management: I've seen several "field locations" closed in favor of making fewer development centers globally. While I understand the value of reducing certain costs by… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Hewlett-Packard.

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!