Hewlett-Packard

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

hp Executive Management doesn't have a clue

Current Employee - Technology Consultant IV in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Technology Consultant IV in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have been able to perform at a level that allowed me to remain employed during the past four years and beyond. But then, I also have been able to perform at a level that allowed me to prosper and therefore survive the Compaq acquisition of Digital Equipment Corporation in 1998, plus the HP acquisition of Compaq in 2002. I always seek to work with computer hardware and software solutions that have the most promise, carefully avoiding those solutions that are injust a "me-too" category to say we offer it.

Cons

Don't come to HP thinking you will achieve the salary level I have. The new mantra from Human Resources is that you will no longer receive any COLA adjustments to your salary, only the "possibility of an annual bonus, subject to the overall performance of the company". The problem with this is that individually, you have no incentive to perform at a high level as they give everyone the same bonus, or no bonus at all, if they deem revenue and profit inadequate. So, I have adjusted to this by evolving into only an "average" employee.

HP Job Requisitions in JobSearcher go unfilled due to the lowball compensation offered. HP Executives continue to receive the Million-Dollar compensation increases for a company with a stock value at $ 15.00 a share. It's a cliche', but "You get what you pay for" at the individual contributor level, so don't expect much of your new hires, as they will have no training or experience for that $ 50,000 annual salary you pay them.

9752 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

Mis-managed mess!

Current Employee - Director in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Plano, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People. Great line, first level and second level management

Cons

Sr. Management does not understand the services business and have made a mess out of a great company like EDS

OK not great

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most people are very nice to work with
    1st line managers try to shield you from the politics

Cons

HP is struggling and everyone is fed up with the revolving door at the top

Find out what market you want to dominate and go after it with a singular focus

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard