hp Executive Management doesn't have a clue

Current Employee - Technology Consultant IV in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Technology Consultant IV in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been able to perform at a level that allowed me to remain employed during the past four years and beyond. But then, I also have been able to perform at a level that allowed me to prosper and therefore survive the Compaq acquisition of Digital Equipment Corporation in 1998, plus the HP acquisition of Compaq in 2002. I always seek to work with computer hardware and software solutions that have the most promise, carefully avoiding those solutions that are injust a "me-too" category to say we offer it.

Cons

Don't come to HP thinking you will achieve the salary level I have. The new mantra from Human Resources is that you will no longer receive any COLA adjustments to your salary, only the "possibility of an annual bonus, subject to the overall performance of the company". The problem with this is that individually, you have no incentive to perform at a high level as they give everyone the same bonus, or no bonus at all, if they deem revenue and profit inadequate. So, I have adjusted to this by evolving into only an "average" employee.

Advice to Management

HP Job Requisitions in JobSearcher go unfilled due to the lowball compensation offered. HP Executives continue to receive the Million-Dollar compensation increases for a company with a stock value at $ 15.00 a share. It's a cliche', but "You get what you pay for" at the individual contributor level, so don't expect much of your new hires, as they will have no training or experience for that $ 50,000 annual salary you pay them.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Got out in time, before the roof started falling in.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Peers are great to work with

Cons

Leadership needs to re-assess themselves

Advice to Management

Get your act together

Good place to start, but don't stay

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My first job out of school, so I have to thank them for that. My peers are great, but recently at least half my group left, because we're all being held back, severely over-worked and underpaid. Lower management (my direct supervisor and their boss) are great and attentive to me and my peers, but upper management who sits in the office with us all share a very discouraging elitist attitude.

Cons

(Upper) management elitism. We use YEARS old technology to do our jobs, which makes us highly unproductive. They give us the cheapest, slowest equipment the company sells to work off of. With so many CEO turnovers, no one has a CLUE what direction this once great company is going. Pay is below market for my area at least. Promotion are VERY few and far between. My team is highly discouraged because as good as all of us are after several YEARS of dedication, the company demoralizes us by keeping us at New Hire status (and pay).

Advice to Management

Take time to show appreciation to your team. And not buying t-shirts or walking around pretending to care about us. We are the world's largest technology firm, yet we use the most outdated, antiquated equipment and technologies. Listen to us when we have suggestions for newer/faster technologies.