There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Poor string of acquisitions and no clear strategy

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst
Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Ability to work from home
- Good people

Cons

- Poor senior level decisions over the past few years
- Opportunities for career and salary growth are limited

Advice to Management

It's time to innovate and stop wasting money on bad acquisitions. Also, take care of the employees that are still left after all of the layoffs.

reviews filtered by

I love it and hate it

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people and management are great. Often, the management can be remote, which is good for privacy but possibly bad if you want to get noticed. It depends on how you view it, I personally liked the peace of mind!

The training benefits are also good. There are a lot of positions available, so moving around within is not a problem. The pay is solid, but don't expect much in terms of yearly raises, just bonuses during review period.

Cons

I worked for HP Enterprise Services. And there are 2 Things HPES does not tell you, and they are major:

1) Dont' expect annual raises, but instead bonuses. So expect to have the same salary 10 years from now, unless you apply for another position.

2) If you quit, you do NOT get your vacation paid out to you. My friend had 3 weeks and was furious when he was told that it would go away. He earned that leave, and sacrificed those days to work harder for the project. He deserved better. This applies to every HP employee.

Lastly, HP has had some serious problems with their financial situations and CEOs changing. They announced in May 2012 that over 27000 layoffs would happen, including force retirements for some. This is quite scary for employees whose livelihoods are on the line. Things are not getting better for the company, despite the many opportunities to move within.

Advice to Management

Tell your employees upfront that annual raises do not happen and that you cannot get leave payout upon leaving.

2. Great place to work, but its loosing competitiveness.

Former Employee - Production Operator in Aguadilla, PR
    Former Employee - Production Operator in Aguadilla, PR

I worked at Hewlett-Packard part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cons

Competitive field, it lacks innovation. We review and approve every post before it appears on our site, and in the case that the community sees something suspicious we will look into the issue and take appropriate action

Advice to Management

Be more aggressive and risky,

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard