Hewlett-Packard

Challenges ahead

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Account Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

HP is an equal opportunity employer. Values Diversity

Cons

Large company is slower to respond to market changes, a challenge to compete effectively.
Slower to make decisions.

Improve middle management training on people management not just achieve the goals at any cost

8882 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

HP finally benchmarked it's way to be like every other large, cold, heartless corporation.

Current Employee - Quality Engineer  in  Corvallis, OR
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Corvallis, OR

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

You get to work with a lot of really great, smart people and build exceptional social networks. By far my HP co-workers are the best folks I've every had the privilege to work with. I also currently have the best boss I've ever had. He is willing to go to bat for all of us, always tells us the truth and we know he has our backs at all times.

Cons

HP is now the typical big company. It's all about cutting costs and making enormous amounts of money. The company at the higher levels doesn't care at all about employees and only does what they have to, to maintain their reputation in the industry. If they could replace us all with trained monkeys they'd do it in a heartbeat. Especially if those monkeys didn't live in the US.

Don't be so darn greedy. Employees are actual people and without them, you've got nothing to sell and no customers. At some point you have to say - yeah, we're making enough money, let's work on delivering something new and exciting to the world! It constantly amazes me at how, after each quarterly earnings report where we've set new records for revenue, we get told how it's not enough and we need to make more cuts. How stupid do they think we are that we'd actually agree with that assessment?

Hewlett Packard - once a company of engineers with a broad scope of technological excellence.

Former Employee - Software Design Engineer  in  Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Software Design Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

To establish an employment history with a well known and respected company, then move on to a more progressive company, hopefully with a more technically competent and forward thinking management staff. HP offers numerous opportunities to observe the consequences of an uninspired and politically constrained management style, which focuses too much on the short term bottom line and too little on long term goals.

Cons

Promotion within engineering very difficult without political connections in upper management. Annual performance reviews provide no meaningful guidelines for achieving career goals. Software platforms and utilities developed for internal use are frequently not embraced for a long enough period to justify their development time and make them cost effective.

Spend less time at management seminars and retreats and more time becoming technically competent so you can contribute some real vision to the future of your field of expertise.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!