Hewlett-Packard

www.hp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Not a great place for innovation

Current Employee - Senior Hardware Engineer in Richardson, TX
Current Employee - Senior Hardware Engineer in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

HP is great for people with low career aspirations and strong motivation to work short hours. This is great for family life and the expectations are low.

Cons

I joined HP around 2000. When I started, as a hw engineer, there were many opportunities to innovate and many people that I looked up to. In the last ten years all the main talent from the server division is gone and the moral is very low. HP is shifting to a Dell model of low-innovation and low-cost. That will be very dissapointing to anyone that is a star performer and wants to further their career. Bueracracy is high and individual contributors make very ilttle impact. In this era, it seems that the more interesting work is being done by our most progressive customers (google, amazon, msn, etc).

Weed out the people that under-perform and pain the remainder better. Come up with a plan to retain and reward strong technical contributors.

9943 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

Employee's are "Resources" and "Expenses"

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Flexible work schedules
    Little Management oversite - freedom to do work as you choose

Cons

diminishing salary and benefits
    Low employee morale
    total cost focus - no leadership focus
    Limited career growth
    incredible amount of work being moved from US to other countries
    Lots of layoff's

Become leaders - not managers. HP seems to be a management by numbers company only. As with most executive leadership - everything is focused around short term growth and appeasing Wall Street. We need a return to sound long term plans and business strategies - i.e. 5-10 year plans - vs quarter by quarter. Cutting employee salaries to make a quarterly number for Wall Street makes a strong statement as to what the leadership thinks of it's people.

Offshoring, Increasing workload, Decreasing Compensation: Miserable

Current Employee - Engineering Project Manager in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Project Manager in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Used to be a great place to work, but since Mark joined it has turned into a living nightmare. The costcutting is so severe that it is very difficult to do a good job. Hurd's version of HP hires untrained, unskilled workers in Asia for pennies, while US employees (at least those who haven't been laid off) pick up the slack.

Cons

Employee lack of morale. Heard to cheer up my team when all I can offer them is cuts in benefits and pay, increasing workload, and colleagues in Asia with very limited skills.

HP will fail when all of the talent in "high cost geographies" leaves for greener pastures, leaving the penny-pinching bohemoth with low-skilled employees who will also leave as soon as they find better pay elsewhere (the norm in India and China).

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard