Hewlett-Packard

www.hp.com
  www.hp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Used to be great... now just OK.

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Fort Collins, CO
Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Talented engineers. By and large the people at HP are pretty great. These folks have the capacity to do great things.

Cons

Carly, Hurd. Hurd only seems tolerable because Carly was such a disaster. HP used to feature world-class R&D. Sadly this legacy is in gradual decay.

Read the "HP Way". Learn to respect R&D. There are great people there. Let them do their jobs and thrive.

9464 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

Not a great place for innovation

Current Employee - Senior Hardware Engineer in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Hardware Engineer in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

HP is great for people with low career aspirations and strong motivation to work short hours. This is great for family life and the expectations are low.

Cons

I joined HP around 2000. When I started, as a hw engineer, there were many opportunities to innovate and many people that I looked up to. In the last ten years all the main talent from the server division is gone and the moral is very low. HP is shifting to a Dell model of low-innovation and low-cost. That will be very dissapointing to anyone that is a star performer and wants to further their career. Bueracracy is high and individual contributors make very ilttle impact. In this era, it seems that the more interesting work is being done by our most progressive customers (google, amazon, msn, etc).

Weed out the people that under-perform and pain the remainder better. Come up with a plan to retain and reward strong technical contributors.

A very big, slow moving technology company with limited innovation.

Current Employee - Software Engineer VII in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer VII in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

I came into HP through an acquisition almost 2 years ago. We were a hard-driving small company. We worked hard, lots of extra hours, bright people, respect from management, and smart senior executives. HP has slowly stripped away our identity. All the upper management has since left, and a lot of our top engineers are gone. HP managers have replaced our original managers and executives. There are 10 layers of management between me and Mark Hurd. It was 9 until about a month ago. It's really unclear what value-add each management layer brings. The middle management seems to have no mind of their own. Their job is to translate upper level directives and placate the staff below them. There's little to no award for innovation, pushing the technology or taking calculated risks for overall gain. Management always takes the conservation approach and tries not to screw anything up or rock the boat. Hmmm... this is supposed to be the "Pros" section, let's see if I can list them:

1) Decent Health benefits but the cost keeps going up, but probably no more than anywhere else.
    2) Great work/life balance. Put in your 8 hours and go home. You are an exception otherwise.
    3) Good desktop computing resources and lots of high-quality HP printers around the building.
    4) On-site gym and cafe. The gym is free, the food is not.

Cons

1) Everyone received a 5% pay-cut around March 2009. That's not so bad, but that only part of the story....
    2) There no discount on the ESPP program. It was 15% off the current market price until recently.
    3) The 401K matching amount was cut in half to 3% of your gross pay, payable at the end of the fiscal year *if* (and that is a big if these days) HP makes it's target numbers.
    4) All awards and bonuses have been stopped until further notice.
    5) Sleepy and ineffective middle management.
    6) The company (at least our software division) is more interested in how to sell more of our products (which is not a bad thing), but at the expense of innovation and getting closer to the customers to understand and to solve their current and future problems.

Mark Hurd has done a great job of getting the company back on track. So keep that up. But the company now needs to focus on technology and innovation. Bring back some of its technology roots or the organic growth will be very limited. Growth by acquisition gets you only so far.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard