There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Used to be great... now just OK.

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Fort Collins, CO
Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Talented engineers. By and large the people at HP are pretty great. These folks have the capacity to do great things.

Cons

Carly, Hurd. Hurd only seems tolerable because Carly was such a disaster. HP used to feature world-class R&D. Sadly this legacy is in gradual decay.

Advice to Management

Read the "HP Way". Learn to respect R&D. There are great people there. Let them do their jobs and thrive.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Not what it used to be

Former Employee - Senior Software Designer in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Designer in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

There is less dead wood in the engineering teams than at any other place I have worked, and if you get on the right teams, the projects are interesting and fun.

Cons

The pay has been totally stagnant for over 5 years. The benefits are worse, and the premiums have gone way up. Upper management panics about every little number, every single quarter.

Advice to Management

Treat your people with respect, stop worrying about next week's bonus that your employees are not even eligible for anymore. They still want to do great things for you, but are tired of getting shafted in the process.

Not a great place for innovation

Current Employee - Senior Hardware Engineer in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Hardware Engineer in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

HP is great for people with low career aspirations and strong motivation to work short hours. This is great for family life and the expectations are low.

Cons

I joined HP around 2000. When I started, as a hw engineer, there were many opportunities to innovate and many people that I looked up to. In the last ten years all the main talent from the server division is gone and the moral is very low. HP is shifting to a Dell model of low-innovation and low-cost. That will be very dissapointing to anyone that is a star performer and wants to further their career. Bueracracy is high and individual contributors make very ilttle impact. In this era, it seems that the more interesting work is being done by our most progressive customers (google, amazon, msn, etc).

Advice to Management

Weed out the people that under-perform and pain the remainder better. Come up with a plan to retain and reward strong technical contributors.