HP Driving Away the Best and Brightest

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

HP treats great employees so badly, once they leave, they feel good anywhere. I honestly can say that this is the first company that I've worked for that I hate. I was "BORGed" through an HP acquisition.

Cons

Having to watch a formerly great company being driven into the ground. Having to listen to a clueless CEO attempt to be funny while he's driving the formerly great company into the ground.

Advice to Management

If you acquire a company, then continue to make further investments in that company. Eating the cow instead of milking it doesn't provide long term value.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. A very big, slow moving technology company with limited innovation.

Current Employee - Software Engineer VII in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer VII in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

I came into HP through an acquisition almost 2 years ago. We were a hard-driving small company. We worked hard, lots of extra hours, bright people, respect from management, and smart senior executives. HP has slowly stripped away our identity. All the upper management has since left, and a lot of our top engineers are gone. HP managers have replaced our original managers and executives. There are 10 layers of management between me and Mark Hurd. It was 9 until about a month ago. It's really unclear what value-add each management layer brings. The middle management seems to have no mind of their own. Their job is to translate upper level directives and placate the staff below them. There's little to no award for innovation, pushing the technology or taking calculated risks for overall gain. Management always takes the conservation approach and tries not to screw anything up or rock the boat. Hmmm... this is supposed to be the "Pros" section, let's see if I can list them: 1) Decent Health benefits but the cost keeps going up, but probably no more than anywhere else. 2) Great work/life balance. Put in your 8 hours and go home. You are an exception otherwise. 3) Good desktop computing resources and lots of high-quality HP printers around the building. 4) On-site gym and cafe. The gym is free, the food is not.

Cons

1) Everyone received a 5% pay-cut around March 2009. That's not so bad, but that only part of the story.... 2) There no discount on the ESPP program. It was 15% off the current market price until recently. 3) The 401K matching amount was cut in half to 3% of your gross pay, payable at the end of the fiscal year *if* (and that is a big if these days) HP makes it's target numbers. 4) All awards and bonuses have been stopped until further notice. 5) Sleepy and ineffective middle management. 6) The company (at least our software division) is more interested in how to sell more of our products (which is not a bad thing), but at the expense of innovation and getting closer to the customers to understand and to solve their current and future problems.

Advice to Management

Mark Hurd has done a great job of getting the company back on track. So keep that up. But the company now needs to focus on technology and innovation. Bring back some of its technology roots or the organic growth will be very limited. Growth by acquisition gets you only so far.

2. Grass is Greener...

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Considering the size of HP, there's available training and management support for a friendly and productive environment. Consistent effort to listen to workforce through Voice of the Workforce, where you can submit anonymous concerns.

Cons

Don't expect to advance quickly. A company this size requires dedication and patience to grow within.

Advice to Management

Sustain morale growth through frequent executive visits and more transparency at the top.