Hewlett-Packard

Getting better with Meg Whitman at the helm

Current Employee - IT Analyst  in  Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - IT Analyst in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lots of work to do, you can move around, lots of courses to take advantage of. Work Life balance is possible. Good accountability. Most managers are easy to work for.

Cons

Pay is average, layoffs are still coming for next 18 months

Innovation is key, in all areas of the business. The cloud can crush us if we don't get ahead of it.

8872 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

Size provides lots of opportunity, but its organizational complexity, processes, and systems are very frustrating

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great opportunities to change roles every couple of years to experience and learn a breadth of businesses. Flexibility to work from anywhere. Most people are great to work with. Finance can get exposure and interaction with high level management very early in your career.

Cons

The finance systems and processes are much too difficult. We spend way too much time getting the numbers and making sure they are right and they "tie" between the numerous reports. Even directors, managers, and high level analysts are spending unnecessary time doing this. There is too much time wasted on internal debates that finance gets stuck in between and even need to facilitate, and that ultimately do not impact HP's overall earnings.

Every manager likes to gloss over the issue of compensation, but it is so poorly executed. I was ranked the top "K" when I was there, but never got out of payband 1. Some years my bonus partially compensated, but other years not at all. It is very hard to understand how hard it can be to align base pay with performance. Seems unfair that top performers have to rely on the variability of bonus because they are in a low payband, while other average performers have a guaranteed base salary.

Disappointment with HP's hiring practices

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Can't think of too many. Some managers 'might' allow you to work from home on occasion but that's about it.

Cons

Lots - raises don't happen often, bonuses are almost unheard of in many groups. Management likes to have all employees competing against each other rather than instilling team work and building real teams. Too much emphasis on metrics versus actually getting something done and done the right way.

Open up, let the people who actually do the work - do the work. Reduce the amount of metrics and let innovation flow.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!