So far so good

Current Employee - Software Quality Engineer III in Fort Collins, CO
Current Employee - Software Quality Engineer III in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay and benefits are quite good. I also have a good opinion of the people and the work environment. I started at HP as a contractor so I got to know the company. The people working at this location seem to be professional and capable. I have yet to run into personality issues. Overall a good place to work.

Cons

HP has drifted from its focus and should reaffirm its root. Focus on building things to customer satisfaction. You can tell people's morale have taken a hit from being made to sacrifice while management seems to line their pockets.

Advice to Management

You have some good people working for you. Meg Whitman, the CEO, is being given the "benefit of a doubt" as she settles into a new job. This shows much trust of a new CEO by employees. Meg can earn that trust by focusing on the basic principles in the book "The HP Way": don't skimp on quality, treat your people well, focus on fundamentals, and listen to your customers. Don't use buzzwords or empty approaches like "brand management". Focus on real problems and solutions.

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

1. Great place to work, very energetic !

Former Employee - Network Analyst in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Network Analyst in Irvine, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great employees and benefits. Good company culture and vacation days !

Cons

Corporate downsizing was a bit scary, very professional environment (too professional)

Advice to Management

Learn to micro-manage less. Praise your employees more for their hard work

2. Best company I have every worked at!

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in San Diego, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Best atmosphere, very casual, Worked with really smart people who were very committed to doing a good job and doing the right thing. You weren't judged on you appearance, i.e. forced to wear a suit. My direct supervisor would come in shorts and flip-flops - as an extreme example. Great benefits, stability and ok pay. Work/life balance was good if you had an understanding manager.

Cons

If you are nonexempt, you tend to hit a glass ceiling, no pun intended, with little chance to jump over to the exempt side of things, unless you get an advanced degree or MBA, etc