Self driven

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People are great.. take the first step

Cons

Not big risk takers in this company

reviews filtered by
  1. So far so good

Current Employee - Software Quality Engineer III in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Software Quality Engineer III in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay and benefits are quite good. I also have a good opinion of the people and the work environment. I started at HP as a contractor so I got to know the company. The people working at this location seem to be professional and capable. I have yet to run into personality issues. Overall a good place to work.

Cons

HP has drifted from its focus and should reaffirm its root. Focus on building things to customer satisfaction. You can tell people's morale have taken a hit from being made to sacrifice while management seems to line their pockets.

Advice to Management

You have some good people working for you. Meg Whitman, the CEO, is being given the "benefit of a doubt" as she settles into a new job. This shows much trust of a new CEO by employees. Meg can earn that trust by focusing on the basic principles in the book "The HP Way": don't skimp on quality, treat your people well, focus on fundamentals, and listen to your customers. Don't use buzzwords or empty approaches like "brand management". Focus on real problems and solutions.

Plenty of opportunity

Current Employee - Solution Architect in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Solution Architect in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Respectable pay, plenty of opportunity to find something interesting to do should you become bored or stagnant in a certain position.

CEO is working diligently to improve HP's performance, and is not worried about pandering to the stock market in the short term. Given our previous CEOs (Mark Hurd) who focused ONLY on short-term profits and their own bank accounts, Meg Whitman is a breath of fresh air. The employees firmly and completely support Meg in her efforts.

Cons

Middle management (too many layers that provide no value to the company).

Advice to Management

Get rid of about three layers of middle management. They exist ONLY to write reports about what their people have done, tell employees that they cannot spend any money, and travel around the world (at company expense) to meet with their direct reports. At the same time, I have teammates with whom I have worked for 10 years that I have never met in person.