There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

HP India Vs US

Current Employee - ETL Designer in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - ETL Designer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

1.Offshore is job excellent
2.Excellnet worklife balance

Cons

1.Onsite Pay is not good
2.No workflife balance

Think about the Employees not only on Deliverables.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great Potential - horribly managed

Former Employee - Software Test Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Test Engineer

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

HP has managed, in spite of themselves, to hire some amazing people. The flexible hours were good and most of the lower level managers I worked with were very good. HPs product line and technologies were fun to work with.

Cons

Upper managers loved to do a re-org about every three months. Your managers constantly changed so you would have to start at ground zero every few months. HP executive management has flailed around with each successive CEO. Lew Platt started the downfall, but Carly kicked it into overdrive. Mark Hurd didn't help and still waiting to see if Meg Whitman will do any better.

HPs considerable talent base is under-utilized and often experiences high turnover rates becase they find better jobs. HP management responds by outsourcing to India, but they don't outsource smartly. In my time there we had to redo all the work they did in India multiple times, resulting in HP paying twice to get the work done when they could have paid once. A lot of their cost cutting measure made no sense at all. They also are not too keen on getting input from their employees on how things could be done better.

One of the more ridiculous things I experienced in my time there was the "Carly Massacre" where thousands of people were cut with no rhyme or reason. I worked alongside engineers who had very impressive records and they were cut while a lot of the deadweight was left.

The board needs to fire the entire upper level management structure. They need to hire people with real world experience, not CEOs who are being forced from their current positions due to their failure and ineptitude. They also need to think outside of the box and quit looking for CEOs educated at the worthless Ivy League business schools. They should structure each division of the company as it's own separate entitiy to rise or fall on it's own merits.

Promotion at this HP site

Current Employee - Remote Desktop in Pontiac, MI
    Current Employee - Remote Desktop in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The co-workers are great, and facilities are ok

Cons

Neopotism needed for promotion, individual without required BA or BS are promoted to supervisor after less that 2 monts as a team lead, where the team lead positions where not open to apply for. Clicks are prodominent, you are not rewarded for giving 100 % back to the click. no guidance or mentoring form management...if you are turned down they suggest asking the management team for advice...back to square one. Low pay for the error, lower raises (In the cents).

You need to nip this in the bud, before all the excellent sharp workers leave HP to go to other companies. There are serious HP/HR regs ignored here

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard