Hewlett-Packard

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Sales at Hewlett Packard

Current Employee - Account Manager in Plano, TX
Current Employee - Account Manager in Plano, TX

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are lots of opportunity to grow and move up within the company. The pay is decent. Fortune 500 company.

Cons

Leadership Team changes their strategy to often which normally leads to WFR's (layoffs). This has been consistent year after year for every year I've been employed, sometimes these changes last less than six months.

Leadership Team needs to change. Make a plan and stick with it, follow it through and make it work. If it was good enough at the time it was enforced/implemented, why did it change less than six months later? Market trends and Organization realignment are weak answers and are not always correct.

9129 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

fun place to work, lots of perks, very loose management

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

fun place to work, lots of perks, very loose management

Cons

The culture is to have fun. The eval is depending on the popularity.

The employees have too much freedom, and too few reasons to work hard. Eval is depending on popularity contest.

Great Potential - horribly managed

Former Employee - Software Test Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Test Engineer

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

HP has managed, in spite of themselves, to hire some amazing people. The flexible hours were good and most of the lower level managers I worked with were very good. HPs product line and technologies were fun to work with.

Cons

Upper managers loved to do a re-org about every three months. Your managers constantly changed so you would have to start at ground zero every few months. HP executive management has flailed around with each successive CEO. Lew Platt started the downfall, but Carly kicked it into overdrive. Mark Hurd didn't help and still waiting to see if Meg Whitman will do any better.

HPs considerable talent base is under-utilized and often experiences high turnover rates becase they find better jobs. HP management responds by outsourcing to India, but they don't outsource smartly. In my time there we had to redo all the work they did in India multiple times, resulting in HP paying twice to get the work done when they could have paid once. A lot of their cost cutting measure made no sense at all. They also are not too keen on getting input from their employees on how things could be done better.

One of the more ridiculous things I experienced in my time there was the "Carly Massacre" where thousands of people were cut with no rhyme or reason. I worked alongside engineers who had very impressive records and they were cut while a lot of the deadweight was left.

The board needs to fire the entire upper level management structure. They need to hire people with real world experience, not CEOs who are being forced from their current positions due to their failure and ineptitude. They also need to think outside of the box and quit looking for CEOs educated at the worthless Ivy League business schools. They should structure each division of the company as it's own separate entitiy to rise or fall on it's own merits.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard