Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Software Systems Engineer VI
Former Employee - Software Systems Engineer VI

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You get an opportunity to move to different projects. You can learn new skills and gain new experiences.

Cons

AFter many years in an office I was forced to work from home with a remote group. I didn't like the isolation of working at home all of the time.

Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

1. HP = hopeless position = unsustainable future

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some very smart people work there but they have no business sense. They are managing to org charts not to business needs. High cash flow makes them look good but the brand will suffer the same fate as Sony, total irrelevance

Cons

High senior manager turnover means that the CEO does not know what to do. The short term P+L focus to keep the stock price up means that hiring goes up and down. The are not attracting top technical talent. They outsource critical functions that makes their brand weak. The board is not to be trusted. Incredibly bad decisions driven by managers only intent to further their own careers, no real original value creation in technology. When MS sneezes HP gets a cold. You only have to look at the CEO history to see so many missteps that have created this mess.

Advice to Management

Executive alignment is a fallacy. Conflicts and contention are rampant due to contention at all ranks. What Bill and Dave wanted is 100% gone. Take their names off the company. Break it up.

2. A place to grow old and wait for retirement

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No sense of urgency, a place where you will not have to kill yourself

Cons

No upside to working here, management will drop you a 5% bonus and say you did a great job while Meg Whitman gets 14M. There is little chance to move up in the ranks and overall this is not a happening company

Advice to Management

HP has become so uncompetitive in this environment, maybe Meg could have divided up her 15M bonus to get me more than the 5% I got. That is the #1 reason that I had to leave, but I has no idea why anybody that lives in Silicon Valley stays there under director level.