Good Luck HP!

Former Employee - Solution Architect
Former Employee - Solution Architect

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

--HP has a legacy of innovation and valuing its employees
--If you are sharp and ambitious, you can gain a tremendous amount of valuable experience across several technologies, industries, and company sizes. HP is involved everywhere.
--In general the sales team is very professional as compared to other vendors
--HP is filled with extremely sharp people and is a great place for networking. The culture encourages knowledge sharing.
--Meg Whitman is saying all the right things and so far seems to be executing well. If she succeeds in restoring the former glory, she will be one of my heroes along side Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard.

Cons

Carly Fiorina and Mark Hurd have drove the company into the ground through short-sighted management that saw meeting quarterly numbers as the entirety of their job descriptions. Fiorina is a talented speaker but absolutely clueless about technology and the industry, and too arrogant to listen to anyone else. Hurd cut costs to the bone, then kept cutting. He made no investment for the future.

Bizantine HR rules ensure that it is nearly impossible to get a meaningful raise.

The HR organization is useless. Their only roles seem to be: creating rules that make it nearly impossible to get a pay increase; and preventing lawsuits. Since HR is powerless, your experience depends largely on your management chain. If you have a good manager, it's a great place. If you have a horrible manager, you have no recourse. Luckily most people are good, but I did have an issue with a small group with questionable ethics.

Like many companies in the past decade, I was forced to leave to get paid what I'm worth. At the same time, they were bringing in people from the outside at significantly higher pay.

--Focus on developing innovated products again that bring higher margins!
--Focus on improving morale! There are still tons of great people at hp that have been battered by ridiculously poor management over the years. Take care of them as things improve.

Other Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

A good learning experience for anyone starting in I.T.

Current Employee - On-site Computer Technician  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - On-site Computer Technician in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Flexibility, you work and set your own hours based on the jobs that you take as an on site technician

Cons

The amount of work can vary based on how many competing technicians are in the area.

Flexibility & Great people who want to make a difference

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time for more than a year

Pros

As a twenty-something, I joined HP recently because of the great people. Everyone is sharp, eager to help and develop others. In addition, people are respectful of work/life commitments. I rarely get calls or even emails outside of working hours. The virtual environment we have is truly optimized for producing results without requiring people to physically be in the same room. Being able to work with colleagues around the world who are the best at what they do is amazing.

Cons

The lack of consistent strategy with the revolving CEO door has had a longer toll on the company than expected. Most CEO decisions have 3-5 year consequences so hopefully, Meg will provide the long-term guiding presence the company needs.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard.

Worked for Hewlett-Packard? Contribute to the Community!