Hewlett-Packard

www.hp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Summer intern at HP Labs

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Interesting and challenging research projects, great intern social activities, opportunity to work with brilliant and world-famous researchers. Relaxed hours as long as you get the work done, opportunity to work from home (although it is a waste considering the kind of people that you can interact with).

Cons

The company website is almost impossible to navigate; hard to get all important information as a new hire. Need to dig around on old, seemingly abandoned wiki pages to learn about systems, benefits, etc. However, they seemed to be aware of this and working on it (e.g. through a "bureaucracy buster" initiative).

9451 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

Good Luck HP!

Former Employee - Solution Architect
    Former Employee - Solution Architect

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

--HP has a legacy of innovation and valuing its employees
    --If you are sharp and ambitious, you can gain a tremendous amount of valuable experience across several technologies, industries, and company sizes. HP is involved everywhere.
    --In general the sales team is very professional as compared to other vendors
    --HP is filled with extremely sharp people and is a great place for networking. The culture encourages knowledge sharing.
    --Meg Whitman is saying all the right things and so far seems to be executing well. If she succeeds in restoring the former glory, she will be one of my heroes along side Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard.

Cons

Carly Fiorina and Mark Hurd have drove the company into the ground through short-sighted management that saw meeting quarterly numbers as the entirety of their job descriptions. Fiorina is a talented speaker but absolutely clueless about technology and the industry, and too arrogant to listen to anyone else. Hurd cut costs to the bone, then kept cutting. He made no investment for the future.

Bizantine HR rules ensure that it is nearly impossible to get a meaningful raise.

The HR organization is useless. Their only roles seem to be: creating rules that make it nearly impossible to get a pay increase; and preventing lawsuits. Since HR is powerless, your experience depends largely on your management chain. If you have a good manager, it's a great place. If you have a horrible manager, you have no recourse. Luckily most people are good, but I did have an issue with a small group with questionable ethics.

Like many companies in the past decade, I was forced to leave to get paid what I'm worth. At the same time, they were bringing in people from the outside at significantly higher pay.

--Focus on developing innovated products again that bring higher margins!
    --Focus on improving morale! There are still tons of great people at hp that have been battered by ridiculously poor management over the years. Take care of them as things improve.

Hewlett Packard is a great place to work and gain new expeirences and career growth

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people are "Great and Oppurtunity for avdvancement"

Cons

I have no Cons to speak on with my experience at HP

Very knowledgeable and well communication with client's and associates

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard